This is the Message Centre for Afgncaap5

Gen-Con Plunder

Post 1

Afgncaap5

I've recently returned from Gen-Con (or GenCon, I can never remember.) This event was more fun than I expected it to be, and I'm glad that I was invited to go. As a lifelong fan of games in all shapes and sizes, and a somewhat recentish (3 or so years) player of D&D, I enjoyed myself.

I went to a number of writing seminars held by the Writer's Symposium group, and they had many helpful tips for the style of writing that I want to do and the different markets I can attempt to do it in. Generally it was common-sense stuff, but it always feels better to hear it said by someone in the market, you know?

I also attempted to play the Munchkin World Cup Championship by playing in a qualifier tournament. I didn't win, but I was glad that I beat the fellow who had all these little bonuses (a T-shirt that gave him an extra level at the start, signatures on the shirt that gave him extra treasure, etc.) I don't mind the bonuses that he got, but he took a certain glee in waving the bonuses at us that I didn't care for. Is that petty of me? Eh, probably. Petty is part of the game when you play Munchkin.

I also had a chance to play 1st edition (aka Advanced) D&D with someone who helped to develop the game with Gary Gygax at a charity event called "The Tower of Gygax." I can officially say that 1st Edition D&D is more like the 3.5 version that I prefer than 4th edition is. But then again, I'm not surprised.

The issue of plunder must be discussed. I had limited funding, but my shopping list consisted of three items.

First: I found an amazing RP game called Cosmic Patrol. Developed by Catalyst Games, it's very rules light and doesn't have a GM (though you still have a Lead Narrator position that rotates between the players.) Ultimately, the goal is to tell a good story, not win or lose. Thematically, it's everything that was wonderful about the sci-fi serial movies and pulp magazine stories of yesteryear, throwing psychic moon men or venusian automen at you constantly.

Next: Zombie Dice. Steve Jackson Games created Zombie Dice to be easy to learn, easy to play, and requiring almost no set up. If you've got ten spare minutes, you can play this game, and you'll likely have lots of fun doing so.

Finally: The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus. I regret to say that I just barely ran out of money before purchasing this, but I fully intend to buy it in a few months when Fantasy Flight Games begins selling it officially. It's the most fun I've had playing a board game in years. Apparently it's a sequel to a game called The Adventurers. In this one, you're dashing into a pyramid and searching the sarcophogi, piles of debris and alligator pit to see if you can find the lost treasures. You need to avoid the wandering (and surprisingly fast) mummies, and you also need to get out before enough blocks fall from the ceiling to seal you in forever. When I played with four other people, we pushed our luck just long enough, because as we started moving out a block fell behind us, perfectly sealing the main chamber of the pyramid.

Lots of fun, and I'm considering going back next year.

Gen-Con Plunder

Post 2

broelan

Zombie dice sounds intriguing. Something to investigate for Christmas perhaps.

Glad you enjoyed yourself smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Afgncaap5

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more