A Conversation for Marmite

grammatical errors

Post 1

Robyn

This entry is both entertaining and informative, not to mention rather humorous. I enjoyed reading it. However, I did pick up one or two grammatical errors. I’m new in this community so I’m not sure if this is the right place to comment on this, but here goes anyway…

 In the last paragraph of the What’s in Marmite? section, ‘i.e.’ is mistakenly spelt as ‘ie’.

 In the How to Eat Marmite section, the word ‘butter’ is alternately spelt with a capital and then in lower case for no apparent reason.

I hope my observations help to raise the standard of this entry. Thanks!

grammatical errors

Post 2

Robyn

I'm going to reply to my own entry and retract the comment I made about 'i.e.' - I just read about the Guide's English Usage. Woops!

grammatical errors

Post 3

Zantic - Who is this woman??

Heyla Robyn! Nice to meet you.
I'm not the writer/editor of this page, but the pointing out of errors is usually appreciated (for some reason, there are a lot of pedants in this place... smiley - winkeye ) And this is probably the right place to do it...

I've just popped over to your page....how's the weatehr in Johhanesburg(sp)? I have some (very distant) family living there...

Zantic smiley - devilsmiley - scientist

grammatical errors

Post 4

Robyn

bonjour Zantic - I think i'm gonna have to change my name: It seems a bit too, err, normal? Weather in Joburg is cold, even though it's supposed to be summer. Doobeedoobeedooo... Thanks for the greeting!
tata

grammatical errors

Post 5

shrinkwrapped

"I'm not the writer/editor of this page, but the pointing out of errors is usually appreciated (for some reason, there are a lot of pedants in this place... ) And this is probably the right place to do it..."

Hello Robyn, welcome to h2g2!

Well, I AM the (main) author of this page, and while I'm not going to pretend your comment is APPRECIATED as such, I certainly haven't taken offence! smiley - winkeye

It's true that h2g2 does seem to be full of pedants. If you're good at sub-editing and offering feedback (which I dare suggest you are), then there are plenty of useful things you could do about the place. The first is to offer feedback in the PeerReview forums. The second is to join the Scouts and the third is to join the <./>SubEditors</.>. Check out those links for details.

Enjoy your stay.

grammatical errors

Post 6

Robyn

Hello Big Mad Mr T. My only motivation was to somehow proove my worth as a sub-editor, which is what I wish to be to the Giude. I appreciate your extention of the olive branch - I have never been as enamoured of a website as I am of this one!

Thanks for the advice, I shall take it to heart.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more