This is the Message Centre for Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

NaJoPoMo 2013 The Art of Death 30

Post 1

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I'll Be Back.

There is an art to death, and it is insufficiently taught. Our acquaintance with both grieving and our own death is slight, and we are uncomfortable with it. Death is always at the party, but we look over its shoulder, seeking out warmer and quicker friends to rescue us from the halting conversation. We need to witness death more -- not bring it about, but neither hide from it or sanitize it.

A memory surfaces at this point, of an man who was kidnapped a few years ago by one of the mideastern terrorist groups whom I will not dignify by naming. It was one of their little snuff movies. I never saw it, but I read that their prisoner could be heard shouting in the background, "OK, kill me, you -----s! Let the world see how an Italian dies!" Blazingly good last words, but even more, an acknowledgement that dying is another one of those things at which there can be some proficiency, for lack of a better term.

They are exempted who slide into a coma, who are non compos mentis, who are so ratcheted by agony that they must have extensive palliation to knock them senseless. Everyone else must take this test, to demonstrate what we have learned in living and apply it to the final final exam.

To talk about death is actually to talk about life, as the journals of the past 30 days have demonstrated. By coincidence, I found the following short video clip just today, and it's both relevant and witty:
http://vimeo.com/72670988

I encountered L on my way out of the shower room on Thursday. He had come to a halt in such a way as to block the corridor on the way to the day room. The shower aide pulled him out of the way so strongly that he was still rolling after she had moved away from him. And he looked after her with an expression part baleful, part resigned, part uninvolved. As I was pulled away toward my room I caught his eye and raised both hands, a small shrug of helplessness. What are you going to do with these people? He looked at me from way far away and nodded slightly.

I'm going to continue this series because there are still people to talk about and experiences to share. But I mark the end of NaJoPoMo with a gallery of photos I've taken to date. Rita has assented to a picture being taken of the two of us, and seeing her will be a real treat for y'all when I put up another page. The gallery pages were created on the small screen of my netbook, so please forgive the rather bunched appearance of the layout. I would also like to say this about my appearance: antibiotics really mess with the condition of my hair.

http://www.lilatladera.com/h2g2/najo/ladera.html

KNOCK KNOCK.
Who's there?
DEATH.
Death Wh--
smiley - skull

Post 2

Titania (gone for lunch)

That Vimeo video was fascinating!

And now I'm reminded of the Seventh Seal... *goes to search for youtube clips*

Post 3

Deb

Wow, that video clip was amazing!

I've really, really enjoyed your journals this month & so look forward to continuing to read more. It's such a fascinating (& sometimes scary) glimpse into what is a bit of a hidden world.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 4

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 5

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

You are so right about death being hidden away in the modern world, that's real death of course, not movie death, which has been done to....

Your journal has been my go to journal this month, and so much humour too, I will be continuing to follow your adventures and learning!

I found this the other day whilst riffling through a file of old five sentence short shorts which may amuse you:

Last night, as I was entering my house, I sensed someone behind me.
Turning, I found myself staring into the face of Death.
"Why so startled?" said Death.
"I don't want to go before my time", I said.
"Don't worry," said Death, "you won't."

Please keep on keeping on. smiley - cheerup

Post 6

Titania (gone for lunch)

[Antonius Block lets Death choose which chess pieces to play]

Antonius Block: You drew black.

Death: Appropriate, don't you think?

imdb.com has a whole list of quotes (translated into English) from the Seventh Seal (or 'Sjunde Inseglet' that was the original title):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/quotes

Post 7

Titania (gone for lunch)

Sorry, another quote from that site:

- - - - - - - -

Mia: You don't look so happy.

Antonius Block: No.

Mia: Are you tired?

Antonius Block: Yes. I have boring company.

Mia: You mean your squire?

Antonius Block: No, not him.

Mia: Who do you mean, then?

Antonius Block: Myself.

- - - - - - - -

Which, unfortuntely, reminds me of my current experience trying to read.. nah, I'll take that up in my own journal.

Post 8

Researcher 14993127

Thanks for a real eye opening account of life at Ladera Lil.
All the very best.smiley - spacesmiley - hug

smiley - cat

Post 9

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Thanks for writing these journals, lil. smiley - smiley I didn't comment a lot, but I read them all.

Post 10

I am somewhat concerned about the fact that nobody has commented about the staff members wearing groucho glasses. smiley - geek

Post 11

coelacanth

"To talk about death is actually to talk about life". Isn't it just. I've read every day and I'm glad you're continuing.

Go on then, tell us about the glasses. I noticed, but for some reason my brain didn't recognise this as anything strange, given the context and the stories perhaps I just accepted that oddness is part of your everyday world!
smiley - bluefish

Post 12

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

smiley - sorry
I assumed the glasses and facial hair were either to maintain anonymity, or part of the dress code for employeessmiley - shrug

In any event I enjoyed all your photos as well as every one of your posts for the last month. If you decide to continue your postings, I will continue to look forward to reading themsmiley - ta

Thanks
F smiley - dolphin S

Post 13

Titania (gone for lunch)

Why? That seems, to me, to be quite the natural thing to do!smiley - biggrin Especially Groucho Marx, the man of many famous quotes.

Post 14

smiley - laugh The groucho glasses were my halloween costume last year. I handed them to Steve and David who obligingly donned them and posed for my little powershot.

Do they not have groucho glasses in Europe?

Post 15

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I am totally in awe of your journal this month. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Also, whose cruel joke is the Nurishment sign? Awful thing.

smiley - towel

Post 16

Superfrenchie

Thank you very very much Lil. smiley - hug

Ify yu keep writing, I'll keep reading. (does this sound like a bit of a threat? smiley - laugh)

Key: Complain about this post