A Conversation for Canadian Slang (english)

Some additions

Post 21

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Well a *case* is 24 beer in the east and 12 here in the west (I guess they drink more of it there). A case of 6 is also called a half-sack here. A Mickey was a 13 oz bottle of liquor, a 2-6er was 26 oz, and a Forty Pounder was either 30 or 40 oz. for some bizarre reason- usually the smaller was liquor and the larger was wine. They are now in millilitre equivalents (so a 2-6er is now 750 ml!!!)

Confused enough?

smiley - laugh

Some additions

Post 22

BudyChrist

In the Maritimes.. primarilly in Newfoundland, the ocean is called "The drink".. "he took a dippin int he Drink eh'By".. by the way, in Newfoundland, they say "Boy", just about as much as people think we say "Eh", only the pronounce it "By"

Cheers

Some additions

Post 23

Moriarty70

Tim's/Timmy's/Timmy Ho's - noun, Proper Name - Various names for the resturant that carries the best coffee and donuts in all the the known galaxy, Tim Hortons

Double-Double - 2 cream 2 sugars in a coffee, trully unique to Canada.

Some more additions

Post 24

Lode007

Grapes: Nickname for Don Cherry, a tv peronality famous for his work on Coaches Corner, a Segment on Hockey Night in Canada.

The Cuckoo's Nest: a nickname for Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Given this name because of the doofuses that are in Parliment.

Some more additions

Post 25

Bagpuss

Hi, Lode, I don't think CIG WebGeek is around any more, so he's not going to add your suggestions to this entry. However, I hope you don't mind, but I put them in my version at A881471.

Some additions

Post 26

Catachrest

-We also use both "Gitch" and "Gotch" in Saskatchewan, and we definitely use "bunnyhug" though the term "hoody" (hoodie?) is insidiously gaining ground.
-Candy bars are not candy bars, they're chocolate bars, at least in Saskatchewan and I think in other areas too.
-Someone mentioned "hork" - this exists also in the incarnation "hock" as in "to hock a loogie" (spit). But I always understood that the "hork" refers to that particularly disgusting sound/action involved in producing the phlegm involved.
-Has anyone mentioned a coolee? (Coulee?) It’s a geographical feature of the prairies, a sort of shallow valley.
- On a related note, it should be pointed out that “slough” (the little pond or dugout) is pronounced to rhyme with “you”, not with “tough”. Wascana Lake in Regina is affectionately known as “Wascana Slough”, especially in the spring when the ice melts and the aroma off the standing water is so...pungent.
-Toon town - Saskatoon.
-Double double - coffee with double sugar and double cream, especially from Tim Hortons, where the term originated.
-Participaction!
-The Rock - Newfoundland. The Other Rock - Fort McMurray, AB

Yet more additions

Post 27

Rafe91355

Southern Ontario sees "snarky" as extremely miserable and grouchy and prone to displaying their nasty demeanour indiscriminately to others.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more