A Conversation for Canadian Slang (english)

essential canadiana

Post 1

greensheep

how about..

great canadian plural nouns, like bluenoser..

names for cities, like hogtown (toronto), steeltown (hamilton), lotusland (vancouver), cowtown (calgary) .. and the hill (parliament hill, ottawa)

great political terms like the neverendum..

fuddle duddle.. trudeau invented that, man.

loonie, toonie? both important

call it the sev, call it the depanneur .. it's an integral part of canadian life

and sports vocabulary like the rocket (obviously not pavel bure), the pocket rocket, habs (derived from habitants), puckbunny..

homo milk.. man i've gotten stares for that one.. it means homogenized!! homo milk. it's a normal thing to ask for at a store.

serviette raises eyebrows south of the border

canadians stand in line-ups .. not lines.. apparently

mountie.. whatever happened to mountie..

that is all.


essential canadiana

Post 2

Bagpuss

Hey, greensmiley - sheep, I've copied this list to A881471 and am adding to it. If you could explain bluenoser, neverendum, fuddle-duddle, sev, depanneur, rocket, pocket rocket and habs, I'll add them. Maybe I'm not the perfect person to write about Canadian slang, having only been here a year or so, but there's probably something to be said for an outside perspective.

I won't mention serviette or Mountie as they would be understood in most of the English-speaking world.


essential canadiana

Post 3

Fruitbat (Eric the)

From what I've come to understand, serviette is the American term for a napkin;

The RCMounted Police were the national police force, dating back to the time when Canada consisted of Ottawa and Montreal (English and French), and was being explored rather haphazardly. The Mounties went into the wilds to keep the peace.
Don't know or care how well they fared.

fruitbat


essential canadiana

Post 4

BudyChrist

I must say you've forgotten the Island!!
In Newfoundland, they are Islanders.. and the rest of the world.. no matter where you're from, are Mainlanders.

Cheers
Thats a good list you've got


essential canadiana

Post 5

BudyChrist

Actually, it wasn't Ottawa and Montreal.. It used to be Montreal, Toronto, and Kingston... Kingston being the old capital of Canada.. but after the war of 1812, it was decided that it was a bit too close to the USA.. actually resting right on top of it.. and there was a little too much kuffufle (there's another one for you) between English and French Canada, so they created Ottawa to make a happy medium, yet still keeping it on English speaking soil

Cheers


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more