A Conversation for Talking Point: Your h2g2

The "W" word

Post 21

zendevil

Here's the h2g2 entry on wikipedia, funnily enough, i got the link directly from the wiki article!

A918434

zdt

The "W" word

Post 22

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

I'm all for the Wikipedia approach to collaborative working. The Group Edit button seems like a good idea: the originator of an entry could be given the option to invite others to contribute. What I suggest would work well is if h2g2 had a 'shelving' area for each such entry, where changes could be recorded and reviewed rather like Wikipedia, but at certain points the original author would have the ability to accept or reject changes to the entry. In so doing these changes would then become part of the entry.

When the entry was complete it would be submitted to the EG, but instead of creating a totally new copy for the sub-ed to work on, the previous entry would be 'labelled', and shelving control transferred to the sub-ed.

Wikipedia's collaborative open-access model is both a blessing and a curse. This model I propose would lead to a good deal less cursing.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more