A Conversation for Picture Quiz: Why Are They in a Painting?

A (not very) educated guess

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The word "Degas" sprang to mind before I even saw the caption at the bottom. For some reason, I figured that Degas might be one of the two men depicted.

I can only see the men's right ears, so one of them might be still be Van Gogh, who lost part of his *left* ear.

(I've just looked at a picture of Degas, and he's not in the painting either)

Apparently, Degas wanted to show people in casual situations, where they would be off their guard.

Post 2

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

It is not very well known that Degas was painting advertisements for IKEA back then. The text that went with it ran along the lines of: "Shall I go for the birch pattern kitchen door fronts or would oak work better with the IVAR racks we already have?"

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - snork

Post 4

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

I'm telling you! The form book says the favourite in the 3.30pm at Haydock is odds on winner

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"So, this window will one day be very celebrated? Something about computers? I really can't see the attraction, though.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Picture Quiz: Why Are They in a Painting?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more