A Conversation for Classic Sandwich and Sponge Cakes

A87924108 - Classic Sandwich and Sponge Cakes

Post 21

minorvogonpoet

smiley - cakeOK, I've tweaked the paragraph describing sandwich cakes to make it clear that they normally contain the same amounts of fat, flour and sugar. (Predictably, you can find exceptions!)

smiley - cake I've also added a bit to describe a couple of marbled cakes that use the sandwich cake proportions, but are made in one tin, instead of two sandwiched together.

smiley - cake I haven't used the word 'batter'. For me, batter means pancakes and dough means bread.

Post 22

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - ok That's clear and informative!

'Mixture' works fine, I think - this way, anybody on the planet who reads English would be able to bake a cake based on your instructions. smiley - laugh I think that's what we're trying for.

Post 23

You can call me TC

Page turner:
Entry: Classic Sandwich and Sponge Cakes - A87924108
Author: minorvogonpoet - U3099090

This entry is so perfectly written now, that I hesitate to add anything, but I would still at least give the option of adding a little liquid after the flour, if the mixture is too stiff. Is the "dropping consistency" no longer a thing? Also, a liquid can also add a flavour, like in your marble cake suggestion, with lemon or orange juice, coffee or even a liqueur or white wine.

If, for example, you mix all the ingredients in a food processor, which is quite acceptable in my books, you can get added fluffiness by separating the eggs and whisking the whites and folding this in later. Replacing a small proportion of the flour with cornflour also gives a finer texture. This was dealt with recently on another PR thread, I think.

The choice of creaming with an electric whisk or food processor is also interesting with regard to the creaming method. I have used both, but I would say that if you have both, the electric hand mixer/whisk is the better option, because in the creaming stage, you are trying to beat in as much air as possible into the mixture - the food processor just softens and homogenises without actually beating or whisking. At school we only had wooden spoons and large bowls and had to beat till our arms were aching - very Mrs Beeton!

Post 24

minorvogonpoet

I too started cooking when we had to beat the sugar and butter by hand, and I learnt that you absolutely had to fold the flour in gently. I was shocked when I found a recipe that suggested you put all the ingredients together in a food processor and pressed a button! It does work, though you might be right in thinking you lose some quality. smiley - smiley

My old Good Housekeeping Book talks about adding a little milk or water to make a dropping consistency, but I have only found this in more recent recipes where it enables the cook to add flavourings.

Looking through my recipes, I have found some where the eggs are separated, the yolks being beaten and the whites whisked. I think this is required where there's a risk the cake won't rise adequately - eg if other ingredients are added.

I've also found some recipes that substitute cornflour for some of the flour. I've got a Christmas cake recipe where semolina is used, presumably because that gives a fine texture too.

I've added these possibilities but I don't want the entry to get too complicated!smiley - headhurts

Post 25

I think you're wise, MVP. smiley - hug Let's not scare off novice cooks. smiley - winkeye

Post 26

SashaQ - happysad

Well done mvp - you've added very interesting information but kept it readable for me as a novice cook smiley - ok I particularly liked the mention of the separating of the eggs as I have heard of that so now I understand why it might be done smiley - ok

Post 27

minorvogonpoet

Thanks Sasha.smiley - smiley

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 28

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 29

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations! smiley - cakesmiley - bubbly

Post 30

smiley - applause

Post 31

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Let's hear it for a yummy entry!smiley - applause

Post 32

minorvogonpoet

Thank you!smiley - smiley

Post 33

bobstafford

Hello well done great entry smiley - applausesmiley - biggrin

Post 34

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Congratulations!

(Who was it? who picked all the Entries on my list for picking today? smiley - raisedeyebrow )

Post 35

You can call me TC

Now we will have to start discussing cake fillings and decorations!

Post 36

You can call me TC

And, of course, congratulations to Sasha!

Post 37

MVP, do you have a photo for us of one of your cakes? smiley - smiley

Post 38

minorvogonpoet

All I've got is some not very good photos of a chocolate and orange cake, which is made to the sandwich recipe but in one cake tin.

I thought I might get a chance to make a cake over the weekend, but we made biscits instead!

Post 39

smiley - laugh not sure how far your Entry is in the process, amybe you manage next weekend? Or maybe someone else can 'volunteer' to bake?

Key: Complain about this post