A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Announcement 2024-04-28: h2g2 is 25 Today!

Post 1

h2g2 Guide Editors

h2g2.com is 25 years old today!

We, the Researchers of h2g2.com, the Earth Edition of that wholly remarkable guidebook to the meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything known as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, can look back with some pride on the last 25 years. We can do this because we accomplished some pretty cool things, such as amassing quite a lot of Guide Entries, publishing ten books, and connecting quite a few people around the planet.

As we approach our next quarter-century, which we hope will be even more replete with excitement, adventure, and bizarre things to write about, we'd like to offer a word of thanks to all of the Researchers past and present who have contributed to the Guide and the h2g2 Post, and shared their thoughts in their journals and threads. We appreciate you. You are part of internet history.

A88048993

A87943396

Post 2

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"h2g2.com is 25 years old today!"

smiley - whistle I used to be that age once! smiley - laughsmiley - laugh

But! As I joined Hootoo in late 2008smiley - magicI'm bloody glad that Hootoo is STILL here!smiley - smiley

My thanks as always! To those in "the back office" keeping the beating heart of Hootoo running smiley - oksmiley - ok

Post 3

You can call me TC

If we want to carry on for another 25 years, something will have to be done about the increasingly frequent outages.

Sorry to rain on our parade, but the hamsters have been letting us down. Are they even still there?

Otherwise - I think h2g2 still has a lot to offer and I have been here daily for 24 of those 25 years.

Post 4

h2g2 Guide Editors

Thanks TC smiley - rainbow

The Tech Team discovered a crawler bot smiley - ant on the smiley - hamster - will take work to get rid of it, but knowing about it means we can work around it smiley - goodluck

Post 5

h2g2 Guide Editors

Thanks Prof smiley - magic

Great to see you around smiley - cheers

Post 6

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

I second both TC and Prof. Would have done so yesterday already but I was only allowed to see this thread once. This has been going on for many smiley - moonsmiley - moon already smiley - cry

I still try to get here every day but usually it's only feasible every second - or such like smiley - erm

Post 7

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Hootoo has been my "home" since Oct 2008smiley - smileyI've had many friends made in that timesmiley - magic a few I've met in person and some "I call family and are accepted in as such, in return"
I'm thankful to Hootoo for that part of my life smiley - hug

But! Alassmiley - ermHootoo needs a superhero, to put "money" into sorting "the programming ect" of Hootoo - To bring "it" back to firing on full cylinders as such..

With NO disrespect to anyone as always! - Sod Musk etcsmiley - biggrin
How about Branston ? "He's got money smiley - whistle"

I'll even give him my autograph! For free smiley - rofl

Post 8

smiley - biggrinsmiley - ok

Post 9

Baron Grim

I dropped in here on 9 September of that year along with MANY others. They arrived then because U42 had appeared on Tomorrow's World. I got here because I was anxiously awaiting the release of the game Starship Titanic and had signed up for email updates and received an invite to check out this weird online Earth edition of The Guide.

I lost that email a few computers ago. I so wish I had a copy now. I know it was weird & humorous, but I can't remember exactly in which ways it was weird and humorous.

Post 10

Deb

My first posting was 4th July 2001 (I was Chadsmoor Charlie back then) but I think I was lurking for a couple of months, no doubt since 11th May.

I still visit a couple of times a week, but only really on Ask for some reason. I should look around a bit, see if there's more chat anywhere else.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 11

smiley - winkeyeas a truly modest Yorkshireman!

I don't need to smiley - lurkbecause smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeyelesser humans can come and find mesmiley - whistleWhy ? go find them ? smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeye

Post 12

You can call me TC

The sad lack of comments in this thread is illustrative of how few people are actually managing to get on to the site.

Post 13

You can call me TC

Sorry, that was rather rude. I do realise and appreciate that all is being done to improve matters.

Post 14

smiley - dontpanic I didn't - and don't - see it as rude but rather matter-of-factly.

The state of affairs is just sad, but what can we do? smiley - huh

Post 15

"Sorry, that was rather rude"

smiley - winkeyeand also true! --- I'm a Yorkshireman, I'm not proud - I'll insult anyone smiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Post 16

h2g2 Guide Editors

Thanks TC

There's not only 'can't', but also 'won't' when it comes to posting in this conversation - a number of people were very upset by Post 3. [If you think Post 1 was a 'parade', the parades you’ve been to must have been very low key. The h2g2 Guide Editors thanked you, and the response came across as 'no thanks to you'.]

Once again, thank you all for being part of internet history A88048993

Post 17

h2g2 Guide Editors

"what can we do?"

Support h2g2 by buying books and merchandise A87943396
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/h2g242

Visit the Front Page and click on any adverts that you like the look of http://h2g2.com/

Read the Post and respond to the articles to thank the contributors for their efforts.

Write an Entry to create new content for the Front Page and Social Media

smiley - goodluck

Post 18

So buying, clicking, thanking and writing will prevent the increasingly frequent outages? smiley - huh

Post 19

Just to be quite clear: I am forever grateful for all the good w*rk done by the smiley - hamstersmiley - hamster and other entities beneath the bonnet. I've stated that many times before but I am always willing to repeat it smiley - smiley

It's only the glitches that prevent me to enter half the times I try that I am sad about smiley - sadface

Post 20

I look at it this way! smiley - smiley

No matter how big etc "some" social media sites are - the old adage comes to mindsmiley - smileyThe bigger they are, the harder they fall!
As long as there's true folk in the "back office" of Hootoo, doing their utmost to keep Hootoo going smiley - magic

"WE" will still be here in some form, when bigger ones have "used their allotted time up" become internet history smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more