A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Wednesday 29 June, 2011: Announcements From H2G2's Future

Post 1

h2g2 Communications

A Message from Robbie Stamp

I just want to say thank you to the team at the BBC and the Community Consortium who worked their socks off to get us to the point where we were all able to make the announcements, rather fittingly, on the Summer Solstice, last week. The response to the news seems to have been positive and we are all now working hard to make the transition as smooth as possible. There is a great deal to be done, but for my part, it is just wonderful to be back and really involved in h2g2 and its future once again.

smiley - galaxy

Status Update From The Interim Teams

- Guide Editors

The Editorial Team has been busy preparing to take on the editorial duties our Italics currently perform. The new Editorial volunteers urge us all to submit solo or collaborative research of all genres, and to read and post helpful comments in Peer Review.

- Arts and Design

The Arts and Design Team is working with all the other teams on any number of projects, including a celebratory Gargleblaster t-shirt. The team's incredible output has almost completely obscured their cunning plan to run away with Category 3 of the Saving the Best for Last competition. Will they get away with it?

- Community Editors

Do you want to join an effort to find missing researchers, plan Community Central, or write a h2g2 history? Visit the Community Volunteers - Discussion Page where the Community Editors are undertaking numerous projects to build our community.

- Technical Team

The Technical Team has begun to build the new login system this week and hopes to start testing it towards the end of next week.Another Tech Team initiative is the relaunch of the Gurus volunteer scheme. If you are interested, drop a note here.

- Business Development and Admin Team

We're finalising a plan for weekly updates on the Announcements From H2G2's Future. Wandrin' Star has joined Happy Nerd as a wordsmith, and h5ringer and Bel have volunteered to do the GuideML. If you use twitter, subscribe to @h2g2c2 and you will get links to announcements such tweeted by our very own Minichessemouse.

You have questions, and we're finding answers. We have a schedule for publishing FAQs and are starting to work on guides for the volunteer teams. Read our updated FAQs here: A77393154

Help Wanted / Situations Vacant

If you want to help with NooHooToo but don't know how, then these activities may appeal to you:

Catalogue the help pages

There are scores of help pages all over h2g2, some official, some semi-official, some for things that are now defunct. We need to compile a catalogue of them first so we know how many we have to update or delete. This is a really important task.

Become a Guru

We are relaunching the Gurus. Gurus are friendly froods who keep h2g2 running smoothly by dealing with all the problems, requests and comments that researchers raise from time to time.

In lots of ways this is like ACEing with added helpfulness, and you'll have more experienced researchers to help you give advice and the Tech Team to fix it if it's broke.

This is a re-launch of an old scheme and we are collecting a list of interested researchers and former Gurus while we sort out the details.

Existing volunteer schemes

The existing volunteer schemes all need fresh blood smiley - vampire, er, additional volunteers smiley - angel. If you'd prefer to be part of an established team then these are the schemes to join.

Plan a Community Central page

We all know it's hard to find out what's happening where on h2g2. If you'd like to make it easier for a newbie to find the active parts of h2g2, then subscribe to this thread and talk about the sorts of things we could include, and how to get it working.

Find our Missing Researchers

Are you in touch with a lot of old Researchers, ones who got locked out of their accounts or who've drifted off to other websites? Drop a note in this thread if you are interested in bringing old friends back.

Compile an h2g2 history

We'll have lots of newbies soon. If you'd like to help them find out what we're all about would you like to help organise either an h2g2 history Entry/page, or a place where the histories of various h2g2 events are collated together? Perhaps an h2g2 calendar showing the days of the year that specific events had happened. Join this conversation if you're proud of h2g2's story.

Post 2

Vip

Just to let you know that the links to the various pages are available on the main A page for this Announcement (click on the name at the top, which will take you to A85834173).

Plain text manages to wipe them all the links out...

Thanks to HN for pulling all this together - sleep well! smiley - zzz

smiley - fairy

Post 3

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Sorry to make a comment on what i believe is an info post but -

Can we have something added to the page above to the sections concerning things like ACEs?

Post 4

Vip

What would you like to know about them, nbb? There are no changes planned to the ACEs at the moment. smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy

Post 5

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Not so much what i would like to know about them (i can always go look at the standard home pages)

But is it worth putting a link into, say, the ACE home page just to suggest it to people?

Post 6

Vip

At the moment these Announcements are to inform people of things that are changing and where new volunteer positions are being created.

The ACEs are a fundamental part of h2g2 and they are very important for helping to retain newbies, but I did a recruitment drive a couple of months ago (I think you were still at school with exams smiley - ill) and general knowledge about them is pretty high compared with all the new stuff that's going on.

I can see the possibility of having a link in the 'Existing Schemes' section, now I think about it. I actually had to check because I thought that was where it went.

I'll pass all this on to the Communications Team though, see what they would like to do. smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy

Post 7

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Cheers, looks great, and i hope we get lots more people who can compensate for my immense lack of computer knowledge smiley - biggrin

Post 8

Effers;England.

Will there be a few random and incomprehensible yikesings in noohootoo? That can be quite creative.

Post 9

Vip

If you want there be, I can possibly arrange it smiley - evilgrinsmiley - tongueincheek... nah, the plan is to return to a moderation system that's much closer to the way it was years ago - sane and sensible.

smiley - fairy

Post 10

Effers;England.

Yes I do. But then I'm mad smiley - winkeye

Post 11

Effers;England.

Just so long as there is a bit of something to fight against.

Post 12

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Maybe noohootoo should have an Offical Phantom Yikeser.

smiley - run

Post 13

Icy North

Can we change that initiative into the "Only One Researcher Left Behind" project?

Post 14

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Awesome Announcement btw smiley - ok Really well written up and enough information to keep a kea happy smiley - winkeye

Post 15

As long as we can vote for which researcher smiley - evilgrin

Post 16

shagbark

smiley - laugh

Post 17

shagbark

Reminds me of what a local strip joint used to put on their marquee
"Spring Cleaning- wee had 100 beautiful ladies and three ugly ones and the ugly ones just left.
I suppose in hootoo it would be we have 10,000 bright researchers and 2 dumb ones and the dumb ones just left the building smiley - elvissmiley - winkeye

Post 18

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

We could empty the building and then call in S&R teams to track down nighthoover - should be much easier to find him.

Post 19

Except that n*ghth**v*r would get my vote smiley - devil

Post 20

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Yes - i was thinking the same thing, phantom phantom postings (PPP)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more