A Conversation for Amazon Kindle

A85746009 - Amazon Kindle

Post 21

Devonseaglass

If I wanted to know about Kindle, one of many ways to read and publish eBooks, I would like to know how it would allow me to do both.

A guide should try to investigate everything interesting to do with the subject, from different points of view, on the basis that curiosity is why we are here.

I hope you can see that it is also exciting and stimulating.

Now, I will get off my high horse.

It's up to you!

Post 22

broelan

I think some of Deke's features could do with a mention, and the self-publishing bit as well, especially if it is a feature that not all e-readers share.

Post 23

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Going back to the remark about the Entry looking like an advert. The tone that needs to be set is of a dispassionate look at the Kindle, from a buyers perspective. ie warts and all.

Consider the magazine articles which are written comparing half a dozen similar items, such as cameras. Each will be analysed and compared - but although all will get publicity, the article is not an advertisement.

Does this help you set the tone of your piece?

Post 24

redshirt42

Yes, I see what you mean. I'll get to it soon.

Post 25

shagbark

Does anyone know why Amazon chose that name for their reader?
Are they trying to ignite someones imagination.
the Article on Fahrenheit 451 (A83646589) mentioned the irony of Amazon choosing this name in light of censored books being burned.

Post 26

redshirt42

http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com/away_with_words/2008/12/how-the-kindle-got-its-name.html

This is a short article which explains the name.

Post 27

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

You could precis the part about kindle meaning to set alight etc - and say that Hibma, from the branding agency who were asked to name the new product said of the Kindle

[add this part as a blockquote and in italics]

. "I verified that it had deep roots in literature," adds Hibma. "From Voltaire: 'The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others and it becomes the property of all.'"

smiley - zen
This sort of detail, and personal interest, is what makes h2g2 Entries much more readable and informative.

Post 28

aka Bel - A87832164

I just looked up for a friend how she could get some free ebooks (which she downloaded from a website) to her kindle from the PC.

Answer: not without major hassle and having to pay a fee to Amazon.

I really think this should be mentioned in the entry. For me, this *having* to do everything through Amazon was a real -kock-out criterion when I compared ebook readers.

Post 29

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Whereas i've found that amazon is very good for the kindle (it helps that all my books were already bought via amazon anyway)

Damn these differing opinions smiley - winkeye

Post 30

aka Bel - A87832164

I never said Amazon wasn't good for the Kindle. After all, the kindle is their product. But you can't choose the bookshop you want to buy from. They even charge you for books that are free elsewhere on the web from what I've heard.

Post 31

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

You can get a lot of classic books free of charge in kindle, and pay absolutely nothing.

Some newer books can be free, but you have to pay the VAT which is chargeable on all web books but not on paper books.

*from the kindle reader who pressed the wrong button in her PC, and got a load of Sherlock Holmes books downloaded* smiley - blush

Post 32

Deek

There are a lot of free e-books available thro' Kindle, also quite a few for next-to-nothing.

I’ve also downloaded a couple from Gutenberg through both the PC, and directly using the browser. That’s not so easy but quite possible. But I’ve not had to pay anything to Amazon for the privilege.

The limitations seem to me to be from the large ebook stores who don’t support the Kindle. I don’t know why though.

Perhaps h2 needs a ‘What ebook are you reading and how did you get it‘? thread in Ask.

Deke

Post 33

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

You said something about Ask Deke? http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F19585?thread=8255255 There's some good advice here, which might help this Entry along a bit more.

Post 34

Deek

Ha! Thanks Lanzababy

Dekesmiley - ok

Post 35

Icy North

I agree with Deke.

Think about why you chose to feature the Amazon rather than say the Sony. There's nothing wrong with expressing your preference (if you have one), but explain to us what that is and why. I feel the entry doesn't quite hang together without either a justified review and preference or a balanced treatment of the products on the market.

Hope this helps smiley - smiley

Post 36

Icy North

(ah, that was a post 21, but I think my comment still holds)

Post 37

redshirt42

Bel: Actually, you can transfer ebooks to your kindle via usb free of charge; you just have to convert it to a format the kindle can read, which can also be done free using the open-source software Calibre. What Amazon charges for is a data rate for e-mailing ebooks to your kindle.

General: I welcome help in the actual writing of the article.

Post 38

aka Bel - A87832164

Cheers. I have since learned elsewhere that there is this possibility. smiley - smiley

Post 39

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I'd like to see this one progressing a bit - what is needed now?

Post 40

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Is redshirt around? This reads (my apologies) like a good entry, and with a bit more detail would be really good

Key: Complain about this post