This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Cleveland: Day 3, more weirdness

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Today's insanity begins with Newt Gingrich, that champion of political acuity, pointing out in a statement that possible plagiarism by Melania Trump is of no consequence because she is 'stunningly attractive'.

There is literally nothing to say to that. But to his assertion that 'most of the people who are criticizing her can’t speak five languages', I agree that this is probably true, as most Americans can't speak two. I, however, can manage at least five languages and used to teach ESL. Which I believe lends some weight to my plea for this 'stunningly attractive' lady to take accent-reduction lessons in case she has to represent the United States in the near future. Berlitz has highly competitive rates... You have the wardrobe and can walk the walk, ma'am.
Now please learn to talk the talk.

At 7.30 pm (6.30 Cleveland time, I think) there are far too many middleaged white people dancing. The backwards baseball caps on the grandpas are particularly unedifying. What is these people's excuse for this display? Ah, a Twitter tweet says, 'Florida's been drinking again.'

You can catch all the titbits on the Guardian's live blog:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2016/jul/20/republican-national-convention-day-three-live

I will not promise to keep up with this. I have more important things to do, like watch 20-year-old political thrillers and make knitted coasters for charity.

After seeing the Floridians dance, if I needed to scrub the bathtub, it would be a more important thing to do than watching this...
I may come back for Callista Gingrich. She writes children's books about a patriotic elephant...and she produced a photobook called 'Ronald Reagan: Rendezvous with Destiny'. She produces patriotic documentaries and plays French horn in a municipal band in Fairfax, Virginia, according to Wikipedia.

Callista Gingrich was only on for about two minutes, to introduce her husband. I missed it because I was watching 'X-Files' reruns. I caught her on Youtube. I think the audience in the stadium was more interested in the country music. Only one more night of this, and then we can rest until the Democrats get wound up.

We'll see what Colbert says about it in the morning. And so to bed, says Pepys. (HE got to watch Charles II, the lucky stiff. Who had a much cooler hairpiece.)

Colbert sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zrGyo8mawc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hryo7tdgB0Q

According to Colbert's quotes from a published interview with Donald Trump, Jr, the vice president in a Trump presidency is expected to be very powerful: in fact, he will be in charge of 'domestic and foreign policy'.

And what, asked the interviewer, would the president be doing?

'Making America great again.'

So that's that sorted.

PS I've just received my final writing assignment for the course I'm working on. I'm supposed to help students answer the question, 'Why didn't the world stop fascist aggression before World War II got started?'

Just saying.

smiley - dragon

Cleveland: Day 3, more weirdness

Post 2

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"stunningly attractive" maybe, but she's NOT my typesmiley - smileyI don't go for pre-programmed womensmiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more