This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

New Horizons in Education, 1895

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

This one's about education and knowledge. It has a little test. Icy North will probably pass it, just to make the rest of us look bad. Here it is: A87783628

smiley - run

smiley - dragon

Post 2

KB

Eh? In 1895 London was the capital of the European republic called Britain? smiley - bigeyes

Post 3

I'll bet those answers weren't corrected by a teacher from 1895. smiley - whistle

Post 4

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I know what a spleen is for! It stores blood and has something to do with the immune system. My father-in-law survived being shot where his spleen should've been only because he'd lost it in a car accident a few decades prior. If he'd had his spleen, he would've bled out long before the ambulance arrived (about an hour--phone had to be walked to, and the only hospital in the county is 20some miles away--the highway is picturesque and curvy through the redwoods...).

Post 5

KB

smiley - yikes That sounds risky. I might ask the doctor about a little titanium suit of armour for my spleen. Just in case anyone tries to vent it.

Post 6

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Can I count the one's I've covered in Guide Entries?smiley - biggrin

used a contraction - points off!smiley - run

I did half-way decent in History and Geography and a bit of grammarsmiley - yikes my time here may be paying-off.

One thing I found a while back; The original Army orders from the Civil War are published as the 'Records of the Great Rebellion' and the naval records have their own volumes as 'Naval Records of the Great Rebellion' without looking they were published at about the turn of the century.

Thanks smiley - ta

Fsmiley - dolphinS

Post 7

smiley - laugh As usual, these topics bring out the most interesting stories. smiley - cool

Post 8

In the interest of a true record;

http://www.civilwarhome.com/records.htm

Fsmiley - dolphinS

Post 9

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Well, I was lost with English grammar and all these outlandish measurements in arithmetic. I've also never been too good in history but could do a bit of Orthography.

Geography and Physiology are probably the best subjects for me. I for instance had to learn all countries of Europe and their capitals at school.
I still remember how my dad (a Geography teacher himself) wrote '...len' and 'W...au' on a sheet of paper and then made me sit down on it to remember the capital of Poland. Unfortunately this only works in German. I also still get the picture of a huge sofa in my head when I hear 'Bulgaria'.

Post 10

smiley - snork Bulgaria...sofas...smiley - rofl I love it!

I always thought of furniture when it came to Turkey. I think it was because of the Ottoman Empire...smiley - whistle

Thanks for that link, FS! Bookmarked for the next time I need a battle dispatch.

Post 11

Icy North

{Icy North will probably pass it}

Well, I was OK on the battles of the Rebellion, but I failed the Orthography: I thought a diphthong was a kind of skimpy swimming costume.

Post 12

smiley - rofl You'd think so, wouldn't you? And only the Irish know what a triphthong is, although we have them in the mountains here. smiley - whistle

Post 13

KB

Not a thing wrong with tripthongs. Not to have enough thongs when you need them is terribly restrictive. And it's contagious: I can't listen to someone from Drogheda say 'you' or 'rude' without mimicking it. smiley - headhurts

"Would Yii-eeee-oh stop being r-ii-eeee-ode", they tell me then.

Post 14

smiley - rofl How true. How do other people get along without them?

Try pronouncing the word 'dog'the way I grew up saying it.

Duh-awwww-ooo-gg.

Post 15

KB

Yes, the usual 'dawg' spelling is a very poor transcription of it. smiley - laugh

Post 16

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

My German teacher claimed that only Styrians have a town which has all vovels in the right order: Laei-oum
(which is actually 'Leoben', but they say it like that)

And Turkey actually has an anchor, while Moldavia has a scorpio.

smiley - musicalnote
Kalkutta liegt am Ganges
Paris liegt an der Seine
doch dass ich so verliebt bin
das liegt an Madeleine.
smiley - musicalnote
smiley - headhurtssmiley - yikessmiley - run

Post 17

smiley - rofl Good one!

Post 18

I knew girl in high-school named Dawn, she insisted that everyone pronounce her name 'Daugh-WIN' with the local accent the names Dawn and Don are almost identical.

I also remember being confused when someone asked me if I had an ink-pen (I didn't know of any other kind) Then I found out that in sewing straight pens and safety pens were also used (pen-pin, same difference)smiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers

Fsmiley - dolphinS

Post 19

smiley - rofl I was about 12 before I found out pin and pen were not supposed to be homonyms. smiley - whistle

And it's not 'an ink pen', it's 'a ink pen'. smiley - winkeye

Post 20

smiley - sorry I stand corrected.

Fsmiley - dolphinS

Key: Complain about this post