A Conversation for Ridiculously Long Words

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A4130443 - Ridiculously Long Words in the English Language

Post 1

unisyc

Entry: Ridiculously Long Words in the English Language - A4130443
Author: Cyvros - U944960

I submitted this for review some time ago and I was given a lot of feedback on the article, so I recently expanded it. I was just wondering what everyone thinks of it at the moment. There are more words I could add and I'm told there are a couple of spelling errors in, as luck would have it, the longest words there.

A4130443 - Ridiculously Long Words in the English Language

Post 2

Leo

Not sure what you're looking for. It seems fine, writing-wise. It's a tad short, but who cares, it's just fine that way. Is there any specific input you're looking for?

If it's content, you might want to consider a brief discussion of the evolution of language or how words can get that long - i guess they're probably made up of segments that all mean something; perhaps you could tear apart one or two and analyze it.

Post 3

unisyc

Okay. I'll do a bit more research today and I'll fix up the article later in the day.

Post 4

unisyc

I've been fiddling about with the entry and I'm not entirely sure what I can add. I haven't updated the article yet. I'm not sure whether this should be appended to another article about words.

Post 5

unisyc

Should I submit this to the Update Forum instead?

Post 6

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Sorry to be a spoilsport smiley - smiley, but >
'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch'<, >Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu< and >Krungthep Mahanakhon Bovorn Ratanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokpop Noparatratchathani Burirom Udomratchanivet Mahasathan Amornpiman Avatarnsathit Sakkathattiyavisnukarmprasit< aren't English words and I'm not sure if they can be classified as being part of the English Language.

(Also the last one isn't one word, it's more a phrase).

Maybe you could preface those words by saying something like how other languages also have ridiculously long words.

I think you could add in a bit after the chemical formula about the protein names (do you remember the comments in the other thread?). That would be a good example of why there is probably no such thing as the 'longest' word.

>>and Man will just continually create longer and longer words <<

Should be >>and people will just continually create longer and longer words << (or 'humans').

If you want more material, you could start a thread in Ask and ask people for the longest words they use in everyday language.

Don't give up - as people mentioned in the PR thread, it's an interesting topic (which gave rise to quite a bit of discussion - maybe you could check that convo again for ideas?) smiley - ok

smiley - cheers
kea.

Post 7

unisyc

I'll have to change the title now. Thanks for notifying me of that.

I'll check the PR thread again and I'll try and update it soonish.

Post 8

U168592

Any new work here auldor?

Post 9

unisyc

I'm afraid not. If anyone else wants to take this over, I'm happy to give it to you. I don't have the time at the moment. I probably will in... six years' time? smiley - smiley

Post 10

U168592

I suggest it gets moved to the Flea Market then, where someone else might like to make it under their own wing smiley - winkeye

Post 11

unisyc

Shall do, Matt. Thanks for the advice.

Bah, too many things to do in real life! smiley - biggrin

Post 12

unisyc

Bit of a silly question, but how exactly do I move it into the Flea Market?

Post 13

U168592

If you go to the EGWW main page Writing-Workshop then find your Entry in the list, there should be a little x to it on the right. Click on that. You;ll be asked if you want to remove it from the forum. Yes you do.

Then go back to your Entry and you'll find the Submit for Review button. Click on that, and then in the drop down list that appears find the Flea Market. Click on that, write a little message if you like, then click on Submit.

Job's a good 'un smiley - smiley

Post 14

AlexAshman

Still waiting for this to be moved, huh? Looks like the author has smiley - elvis.

Post 15

unisyc

Sorry about the long lunch. I've done a bit of light editing to make it sound and look less crap and it's been pushed to the Flea Market. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Key: Complain about this post