A Conversation for Münster - Don't forget your bike

Peer Review : A84907416 - Münster - Don't forget your bike

Post 1

frleon

Entry: Münster - Don't forget your bike - A84907416
Author: frleon - U14872593

My second entry (I got really fond of this guide in the last days). Please tell me whether you would like to hear more about a specific subject - I didn't want to go too much in detail since the most interesting features are already in the entry.

A84907416 - Münster - Don't forget your bike

Post 2

Taff Agent of kaos

there used to be a fairly significant british military garrison in munster, is it still there?? did it have any effect on the town??

smiley - bat

Post 3

frleon

The last British soldiers left in 1993. Since then, the "Loddenheide" is a combination of industrial zone and park. A part of it is the "Friedenspark" (Peace park) with a chestnut planted by the Dalai Lama. It's a nice place for people who live there but not that interesting for tourists, therefore I will mention it in post-war history.

Post 4

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Hi frieon! Nice to have you on board. smiley - ok

I promise to come back to review this piece properly once I have sufficient time to give it a thorough read through - but it looks very promising smiley - biggrin

Lanzababy

Post 5

toybox

Oh, I've been there a couple of months ago! From what little I saw, it was very beautiful; and the weather was all summery. I look forward to reading the Entry!

Post 6

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Hi - just have time for a little proof reading and have these suggestions for you:

Your first paragraph - which is only showing in the older skins by the way - is in larger text using << INTRO >> and comes before the GUIDEML
<< BODY >>

Take out the <> and place the whole paragraph after the <> then is should work fine.

Then smiley - mod you need to add and to each of your paragraphs.

Bear in mind that you should use the older versions of h2g2 to do your editing? The new version is still in need of heavy fixing smiley - doctorsmiley - geek to enable editing without bugs.

smiley - biro weather statistics prove that there is not even more rain than in average Germany.

--->>> weather statistics prove that there is no more rainfall there than is average for Germany.

smiley - biro North Rhine-Westphalia and [understands] itself as an opponent to

---->>>North Rhine-Westphalia and [views] itself as an opponent to

smiley - biro there are many animosities

--->>> there is much animosity

smiley - biro Many cities like London, Paris or Berlin have experienced that much history so that the individual events are confounded and eventually forgot even by their original participants, others are simply boring; but Münster found the happy medium.

This is rather a complicated sentence structure. I would suggest simplifying it to:

--->>>
Many cities like London, Paris or Berlin have experienced [so] much history so that the individual events are confounded and eventually forgotten. Other cities may simply be boring - but Münster has found a happy medium.
--->>>

( I suggest taking out the phrase 'original participants' because it strikes me that they may well be dead? Therefore it is impossible for them to remember any events. smiley - winkeye

smiley - biro Since the early ninth century the city harbours an own bishop

not sure what you mean here - smiley - erm Do you mean that the city has had the privilege of its own bishop since the ninth century? Or that the bishop of Munster is solely responsible for that city alone? Is this unusual?

smiley - biro significantly entertaining event --->> significant event

smiley - biro in 1534 and the following year.

Either ---> of 1534-5 or

in 1534 and the year following.

I have to go have lunch now - but will try to come back to finish the whole Entry.

Post back when you have made any edits, or if you need clarification or help at all.

smiley - ok

Lanzababy

Post 7

frleon

Edited as you suggested, except for the dead participants of history who got their own footnote.

Post 8

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

re: footnote - Nice touch! smiley - ok

you still need to clarify this bit:

harbours an own bishop

eg retains its own bishop?

('harbours' tends to mean 'shelters')

smiley - biro but it may be another two [oder] three hundred years older.

--> [or]

smiley - biro 1530ies ----> 1530s

smiley - biro metal baskets and [hanged] down ----> [hung]

sorry got to dash again - I spotted a couple more places where the grammar needs a little adjustment smiley - smiley

Post 9

frleon

Then adjust it - I will need that!

"oder"... where was my mind?smiley - biggrin

For those who speak German: I wanted to say: "Die Stadt beherbergt einen eigenen Bischof", which sounds nice in German, and I couldn't find a better translation. Is there anything like that in English?

Post 10

Bluebottle

Very good article.smiley - ok
One minor thing - catholic church should be Catholic Church.

<BB<

Post 11

frleon

Does this apply to every appearance of the word "catholic" or only before "church"?

Post 12

Bluebottle

When referring to the Roman Catholic Church, then it should be capitalised. Another suggestion would be perhaps to see if some of the footnotes can be integrated into the main body of the text. (That's something I'm always guilty of too).

I was quite intrigued with the Aa river comment. I'm from the Isle of Wight, where 2 of the rivers are called 'Yar' as 'Yar' meant river. Is 'Aa' pronounced like 'Ar', in which case there looks like a linguistic similarlity between that and 'Yar'. (This doesn't need mentioning in the article, I'm just intrigued).

<BB<

Post 13

frleon

Yes, indeed. I think there may be a similar descent, since "Aa" refers to the Danish "Å" which means river, too; and a Scandinavian influence in English sounds rather believable.

Post 14

h5ringer

This Entry seems to have been passed to the Moderators. Wonder if it's our old favourite the editing bug?

Post 15

frleon

I have an idea. I linked to a municipal bicycle rental - could that be considered as advertising? In this case the link should be removed. I thought it to be useful for reasons explained in the entry.

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

The current set of moderators don't like links in general, and links to websites in other languages in particular. smiley - rolleyes

Post 17

frleon

Good to know. I thought most of the people who want to visit Münster would understand the most important things behind the link.

Post 18

aka Bel - A87832164

But the moderators don't want to visit Münster. They want to moderate. smiley - tongueincheek

Post 19

frleon

So, the entry is back and there are no obvious changes as far as I can see. Strange.

Post 20

Vip

Probably a moderation bug; sometimes pages think they've been moderated for no reason at all. Until a human mod reads it to say it's ok, it just sits in a queue.

If it happens again, try editing it (just change one character) and sometimes that fixes it. It happened to me not long ago.

smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Münster - Don't forget your bike

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more