A Conversation for SEx - Science Explained

SEx: Wind Chill Factor

Post 1

StevieD67

If a bucket of water is left outside on a day where the air temprature is +1 degree C but the wind is blowing, making the wind chill factor -2 degrees C, will the water in the bucket freeze?

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

No. If the air temperature is +1 degree, the lowest temperature the water can reach is +1 degree.

Wind chill only affects things that are hotter than ambient temperature. It causes them to cool quicker than if there were no wind. But they can't cool to lower than the ambient temperature.

Post 3

toybox

I thought that the wind chill factor was a bit of a fudge factor with no real scientific basis, that is to say, no real way of computing it. A bit like asking the neighbours how cold they think it is, and taking it as the "actually felt temperature".

smiley - brr

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Wind chill factor is a very scientific factor. I've a formula for it somewhere. It is completely precise.

It says that when the wind temperature is A and speed is B, you, at temperature C, will cool down at the same rate as if there was no wind and the air temperature was D.

Of course, that's if you're exposed in your bare skin to the wind. If you are well insulated, you won't cool down at all, either in wind or in still air.

Post 5

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

You are warmer than the surrounding air. So the air around you warms up. That is to say, you lose heat, and the air gains heat. If that air stays around, that's fine. But if that air then goes away and is replaced with different air, due to wind, you then have to heat that air up. And then the second batch of air goes away and you get a third batch to heat up. So you're losing heat all the time. (In the real world, air doesn't come in batches.)

So yes, the wind-chill factor is real, but it can apply only to things which are warmer than the surrounding air.

(I worked this out in my mid-teens, musing on how car-thermometers can work.)

TRiG.smiley - brr

Post 6

toybox

Thanks for the explanations Gnomon and TRiG smiley - ok

smiley - brr

Post 7

KB

So for example, if you left a bucket of boiling water out in sub-freezing temperatures, it would freeze. But it would do so quicker if it was windy than if it was calm.

Post 8

Orcus

To answer that yourself - what do you do with a hot drink if you want to cool it enough to put it to your lips... smiley - bigeyes

Post 9

KB

I didn't ask anything. I thought an explanation might help.

Post 10

Orcus

Good point, sorry for misreading.

Post 11

U14993989

#1 "If a bucket of water is left outside on a day where the air temprature is +1 degree C but the wind is blowing, making the wind chill factor -2 degrees C, will the water in the bucket freeze?"

Just to add to what others have already said - it's all to do with heat transfer and heat content, and since "heat cannot pass from a cooler to a hotter body" - the water can only fall to a temperature of +1 degree C in this scenario.

Key: Complain about this post