A Conversation for SEx - Science Explained

What is the origin of Beans and Toast?

Post 1

Spaceechik, Typomancer

It seems to be a classic, iconic British breakfast choice. I was wondering if it originated during one of the World Wars, if it was a regional choice or just a traditional food? When I considered it, it would seem to be something which might become popular when meat was more scarce or too expensive as a good protein replacement.

Call me nosy, er...curious, yes, that's it -- curious. smiley - smiley

Post 2

KB

Beans dry well, and keep well. So they would be a good choice in times when food is scarce, yes - but I think the reason for them being such a popular choice might also have something to do with the marketing nous behind the Heinz brand.

"Beanz means Heinz".

Post 3

Spaceechik, Typomancer

"Beanz means Heinz" Hadn't heard that ad phrase on this side of the pond! smiley - laugh Nutritionally, beans and grains (beans with rice, toast/bread, tortillas or pasta) give you a complete protein equal to an animal source in terms of combined amino acids, so I was thinking that rationing might have been what started it.

I used to have a really great cookbook, given me by my roommate, that was published in 1942 -- it had a section on War rationing -- very informative. There was a long stretch there, where between the two world wars and during the great depression, an awful lot of people were doing a lot of living without. We were all probably healthier for it, too. smiley - smiley

Post 4

Rod

As I recall, USbeans weren't the same - not quite right, the sauce a little on the thin side.

Proper beans are best on bread that's well toasted - the beaney side getting towards scorched.

Post 5

fords - number 1 all over heaven

According to my own student cookbook, it was popularised by those on a low budget (students ofc, the unemployed etc) because it's cheap, tasty and filling.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more