A Conversation for SEx - Science Explained

computer electrickery

Post 1

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I've got two laptops sitting side by side on the table. Sometimes I am working on both and I'm getting these weird low level shocks when I touch the casing of both, or even sometimes when I'm touching the casing of one and too close to the other. The smaller laptop sometimes gets a vibration in the casing - I can feel it at a low level now, but sometimes it's strong. It stops if I put more space between the laptops.

What's that all about, and is it bad for the computers?

computer electrickery

Post 2

six7s

As there are SO many variables, it's possible that your hardware is irrelevant

It may well be static electricity build up/discharge

Try 'playing' with both laptops powered OFF

computer electrickery

Post 3

U14993989

It must be something to do with inadequate Earthing of the casing. Are they both plugged into the same outlet circuit? People can become charged electrostatically depending on their footwear and the surface they are walking over. There is one shop that I get electric shocks in whilst walking up the stairs (metal banister).

computer electrickery

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

My daughter gets a similar effect with her iPod Touch when it is charging. If you run your finger across the surface, it appears to buzz. But if she holds it and I run my finger across her hand, she appears to buzz.

It doesn't feel like a shock, though. It think it may be some sort of very high frequency effect.

Key: Complain about this post