A Conversation for The Edited Guide

update on progrress

Post 81

fluffykerfuffle

smiley - space
okay this is what those two say their workshops are for:

>>Welcome to the Edited Guide Writing Workshop. If you've written a Guide Entry that's not quite ready for Peer Review but which you would like people's comments on to help you make it really shine, then this is the place for you.<<

>>The Alternative Writing Workshop is a great place to submit entries for fellow researchers to read and comment on... We still ask for entries that are basically finished, and which are compliant with the House Rules, but as far as style and content, anything goes.<<

both cite entries that are kinda done... not what the CWW said it was for... to present a bare-bones idea to other researchers so any who wish to participate or help 'form it up' can do so... yessss...... very different, i think, from those two workshops.

update on progrress

Post 82

Gnomon - time to move on

Certainly the scheme outlined by the Editors was that all incomplete entries intended for the Edited Guide should go int the Edited Guide Workshop, no mater whether they were almost finished or just starting off looking for collaborators. But they may never have got around to re-writing the pages to reflect that.

I presume the same applies to the Alternative Writing Workshop, but I'm afraid I don't know much about it.

update on progrress

Post 83

Gnomon - time to move on

I think your informal Writer's Lounge is a better system than reviving the Collaborative Writing Workshop. The review forums tend to get clogged up with entries because authors forget about them and then leave. Only the Editors can move an entry if the author isn't around, and I don't think the Editors will want to take time off from their busy schedule of building the Edited Guide.

Doing it through the Writer's Lounge, with you in charge, will make it flow easier.

But you can always contact the Editors at Feedback / Editorial and ask their opinion.

update on progrress

Post 84

fluffykerfuffle

smiley - space
okeeday

thank you for putting it into words i can follow for a game plan smiley - biggrin

heres some smiley - redwine and smiley - cake

update on progrress

Post 85

LL Waz

As a frequenter of the Alternative Writing Workshop, I'd love to see germ ideas there if the author actually did want to work on them. Pretty sure the others I meet on those threads and the rest of the UnderGuide volunteers would be too. The AWW's a pretty free and easy place. What it lacks, really lacks, is enough readers/writers/commenters.

There's a danger in spreading resources too thinly in h2g2 - I thought that was one reason for closing the CWW - not enough willing bodies to go round.

I think the AWW wording about 'basically finished' entries was intended to stop too many one-liners and very unfinished pieces from one-stop posters. They can swamp the good stuff and the stuff people are working on. Like the other workshops only the h2g2 staff can move entries out and as Gnomon said, their time's very limited these days smiley - sadface.

Waz

update on progrress

Post 86

fluffykerfuffle

smiley - space
aha! okay i get it... i will send folks over to the alternative writers workshop then for, as you say, germ ideas... if the author actually wants to work on them.

if you have a germ idea that you would actually want to work on, you will be welcome over in the alternative writers workshop... just tell them what you have in mind.

kinda like that? hey i am not that good at wordage... maybe you can say it better for me? this is going on my new Writers Library entry A24368024

i was thinking of just opening a thread under my Writers Library entry for researchers who have an idea and want some others to collaborate in forming it up and maybe even making it happen... but if youd rather they came over to the alternative writing workshop smiley - ok cool! i mean also if there are plenty over there doing it already i agree.... thats the place to go!!

update on progrress

Post 87

echomikeromeo

You also might want to look at Challengeh2g2. That's where ideas tend to go, and someone can pick up the idea and use it if they're interested.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more