Magrathea's Workshop - Volunteers

Post 2

Magrathea

Comments, that is. I really need to go to sleep now... smiley - yawn

smiley - fairy

Post 3

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

... I must agree to what has been said in the other thread, the name 'Curators' doesn't sound good to me.smiley - erm

Post 4

Vip

So, the terms aren't suiting people at the moment.

Currently we have:

ACEs - deal with newbies
Gurus - deal with technical queries
Scouts - pick Entries when ready
Sub-Editors - polish Entries for the Front Page
Curators - pick up any changes that need to be done after the Entry has been published
Editors - BBC employees who manage the site (and used to do the Sub-Editing a long, long time ago).

Pin/Jordan's suggestions are, roughly speaking, to merge the ACEs and Gurus, and the Scouts, Curators and Sub-Editors. The Editors remain (called Publishers), but remain as overall controllers of the publishing process and point-of-contact rather than ever editing anything.

So far, people have made the following comments:

smiley - starWhy are we losing the title of Editor?
-Currently the Editors currently don't actually edit anything (by and large). They are the managers of the site. If we give the title to those who will be editing in the future, they may be mistaken for the managers of the site, as that is the historical meaning of the word.

If people think that we should call those who do the editing Editors, I am more that happy to do that. It won't take long for the new meaning to spread, I'm sure.

smiley - starCurator doesn't sound right.
-The old Curator title has been expanded to include the sub-Ed role as well. I'm happy to drop this term, especially if most people don't like it. Pin/Jordan like it because they think of them as custodians of the h2g2 library, but I can understand if others aren't so keen.

smiley - starWhy are we thinking of changing the term ACE?
-Because the term Editor was no longer being used. If we dicede the term Editor is used to apply to those doing the editing, then Assistant Community Editor now longer makes sense, as ACEs have nothing to do with the Editorial process.

smiley - biroI will suggest that we take out the term Curator entirely and replace it with Editor. We then come up with a new name for the ACEs.

smiley - fairy

Post 5

Haragai

Editor is a familiar term used everywhere else in the publishing business from printed media to online publications.
A Publisher is familiar as well but more in the context of periodicals.
For h2g2 an Editor would be someone who writes and/or helps authors and a Publisher would be the one to produce The Post.

Post 6

Vip

*makes notes*

OK. So the Editors are those who make changes to Entries where needed, the term Publisher is reserved for The Post if they choose to use it, and we need a new name for those who manage the overall processes. smiley - ok

smiley - fairy

Post 7

For me they have always been the Post Editors. smiley - laugh

Post 8

Magrathea

That's why I said reserved for them. smiley - winkeye I can't see why they'd want to change, they've been that for a long time! smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy

Post 9

smiley - smiley Yes.

Well, we should think about a good name for AECs I guess. Something not too long.

Post 10

Haragai

Quality Assurance Board -> Showcase Editors ?

Post 11

Haragai

Managers -> Executive Editors ?

Post 12

Magrathea

A8266105 and http://docs.google.com/document/d/1n9FDEW8AWmLCFAIDmdx-AOlu4uL-E2KY_lmUUUEFZco/edit?hl=en&authkey=CMvIipgJ# have been changed to reflect the replacement of Curator with Editor.
I've also put in working titles of Community Leaders (ACEs) and Managers (Publishers) and added a short section on the Post Editors.

Showcase Editors? Sounds good to me. Any other ideas?

Post 13

I like it.smiley - smiley

I also thought of Community Leasers but it doesn't really sound right. It sounds too much of enforcing power on the community.

Post 14

Magrathea

Yeah, it's a bit naff. I don't think it sounds enforcing, but it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue now, does it. I will change it as soon as we get something better.

The term still could be ACE, we just might need to think of different words to fit the acronym.

smiley - fairy

Post 15

Maybe we keel the C and the A and make them Community Assistants?

Post 16

Haragai

Do we completely lose the 'Scout' title? It sounds like a fun volunteer position to me.

Post 17

Haragai

smiley - applause Tav.

Post 18

Magrathea

Yes. It was suggested that in order to cut down on the bottlenecks that happen at the moment. Current Scouts can become Editors and still continue that aspect of the role.

It also removes the perception that it is the Scouts who should do the reviewing in PR. Scouts shouln't pick an Entry unless they think it satisfies the House Rules (and to do that will have had to read through the Entry anyway) but the job of reviewing is for all Researchers.

smiley - fairy

Post 19

Magrathea

Community Assistant is still quite wordy. Everything else I try to come up with is no better - Community Supporters, Community Engagement Officers (smiley - yuk), h2g2 Guardians (drawing from the old volunteer Guardian Angels at A467606) and Community Enliveners (I think I even made that second word up). How about just plain Aces? They are pretty Ace after all. And it's only a name after all.

smiley - fairy

Post 20

The problem is that the word 'Community' is already quite long, I think.

Just calling them Ace again would be an option I guess. At elast it's short and easy to remember.

Key: Complain about this post