A Conversation for A Welcome and Thank You Message from Douglas Adams

tribute to D. Adams

Post 1

Researcher jaw25yo

i've only been a 'researcher' for h2g2 for a couple of days, but i wanted to know if I could find a siutable place to write a tribute.
Now I have i am goimg to write a few things that I feel that I want to leave here.

When I was at secondary school (High School for the Americans) I found Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy, it was during a drama club where we where acting the hagonenon scene from the radio series. I instantly got hooked and read every book. (i still do now) i subsequently bought the radio series, the videos, downloaded the computer games and 13 years later visit this website.

I think this guide to is again a fitting tribute to, and all one needs to do to have a good laugh is read some of the funny entries (the best one I read is about plastic bag bras and talking to trees)

All I want to say, is when there are dark times in my life all I need to do is pick up and read, listen or watch Hitch-hikers and usually picks me up again.

All I can say is thanks Douglas Adams for making a huge impct ion my life as you have done to the millions of others as well.

The world is a sadder place witout you.

From

Anthony

Sorry if this is a bit too heavy,

tribute to D. Adams

Post 2

Jeff - Lurker <lurk> - nostalgia overload!

Hello and welcome! smiley - biggrin

I'd recommend taking a look at Douglas Adams' user space at U42. After his untimely death, it sort of became a gathering point for people to express their condolences and emotions. smiley - blue

You might also want to fill in an introduction on your user space. You can do that by going to U190154, clicking on the "Edit Page" button, and typing some text. Once you do that, people can start leaving you messages on that page. smiley - ok

Again, welcome and enjoy the h2g2 experience!

Jeff
smiley - peacedove

tribute to D. Adams

Post 3

FALLING.STAR

hello this is my first time on here
i have no idea what am doing am just
looking around.

from wendy

tribute to D. Adams

Post 4

Jeff - Lurker <lurk> - nostalgia overload!

Welcome to h2g2, Wendy!

You might want to start by filling in your personal space; you can do this by clicking on the "My Space" button, or by clicking on this link -> U190462. If you click the "Edit Page" button on that page, you can write your introduction. After you do this, people can start leaving messages on your page.

Also, if you'd like to change your name from "Researcher 190462" to something more personal, you can do that by clicking on the "Preferences" button, or by clicking here -> <./>UserDetails</.>

Enjoy looking around the site, and let me know if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help! smiley - ok

Jeff
smiley - peacedove

tribute to D. Adams

Post 5

Researcher 193166

Thanks Anthony ive only just found this site after being a Hikers fan since childhood, i also have all the books, which i have forgotten to read for quite some time and have reached as you say a dark point and will go and read one again right now-Thanks for reminding me that when things get too seriouse in life Douglas's books always make you laugh-which i forgot!

tribute to D. Adams

Post 6

Researcher 194513

I cannot but help share the feelings expresed by many, Douglas had a real and tangible impact upon my life. At school I even produced my own stage version of the first book, taking huge liberties with characterisations. One close, and sadly also now deceased friend, captured the sardonic nature of Arthur Dent and till this day i can been see singing the national bettlejuice death anthem with Zaphod throughout local public houses.

I am again like many who have found a place within this sight a would be word smith. Whether I in actual fact am aqny good at this is beyond my own ability to decide. None the less I confort myself with the following revelation which evolves from my Adams fixation...

"Tell me again Ford about what the guide says about God."
"According to the Mark two version... of which I am not a contributer God has been given a name, Douglas Adams!" Arthur once again aadjusted his dressing gown in a manner suggesting its immentent reaquainace with gravity, when clearly this was not the case.
"Excuse me, this is rather to much for me...." Ford Interrupted him, or rather continued as his eyes glazed over, particular affective in someone without coloured irises, a shame no one noticed.
"It would appear that Hawkins was right, odd really when you consider his many basic errors."
"Basic errors the man may be afflicted with an American accent which no doubt must annoy him but he is one of the greatest minds since, since Alan Sugar."
"Yes but most of his theories are well off beam... of course I suppose seeing as your race havent grasped the significance of the towel what can we expect." He looked at Arthurs look of utter bewilderment, completely mistook his meaning and continued apace. "It apears that Quatum mathematics is correct every possible oputcome unfolded infinitley from evry finite point in each insignificant beings life." He paused for a second, "It appears that we are creations of a man... nothing more then a piece of fiction.."
"What!!"
"Shhhhuush." continued Ford, "Except that due to the fact that all subjective realities or books must somewhere be actual objective realitites! Hence Douglas Adams is our God."
"I'm a bit upset about that." Interjected Arthur, " If your right then how did the story end?"

I might possile return to this idea later, my tribute to Adams must be the enjoyment I have of writing, telling stories that people can enjoy and dreaming the impossible Sci Fi dreams that haunt so many.

"

tribute to D. Adams

Post 7

Bunny Girl Lover!

Not heavy at all. I feel exactly the same way too. I met Douglas Adams a few times, the last time was by complete coincindence. He was in London and stopped me for directions.
The world is a sadder place without Douglas Adams.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more