A Conversation for A Welcome and Thank You Message from Douglas Adams

Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Post 1

Yeliab {h2g2as}

Douglas died on the morning of Friday 11 May, 2001, in Santa Barbara, California, following a heart attack.

This message is to thank Douglas Adams for the superb radio seriess, the brilliant book he has written, the television series and and of course for setting up this Guide to Earth.

Everyone here will miss him greatly, even though we only knew him through his writing.

So long, and thanks.

Post 2

Mund

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1326000/1326657.stm

Post 3

Yeliab {h2g2as}

Thank you, they have just updated that article since I wrote.

Post 4

Orcus

What more can you say smiley - sadfacesmiley - blue

So long, and thanks for all the fish ...

Post 5

Chesebeth: Muse of Sci-Fi and Tactical Soft Fruit Assaults

... Speechless. smiley - sadface

Post 6

Mustapha

Say whatever's on your mind, Orcus.

I've started a letter of condolence for Adams family et al here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A546815

and I'm inviting others to add their thoughts and feelings to it.

I was thinking it might be a nice gesture if you signed off with your real names and whereabouts in the world you live. This would show how many different people DNA touched throughout the world.

Post 7

Satchmo

Succinctly put Yeliab. I'd like to thank Douglas Adams for the immense enjoyment I've had from his work.

I particularly remember the excitement I felt watching The TV series as a child. I still thrill at the idea of there being an answer (and a question), of being torn from an everyday existance and standing on the deck of the Heart of Gold with the whole of space before me.

I am a writer by trade and can narrow my influences down to just a few authors. Douglas Adams is one of them. His prophetic blend of technology and the human condition manages to capture the hopes and aspirations of any daydreamer who ever looked into the night sky and wondered if life, the universe and everything is really as straight forward as it seems.

Post 8

Matt Bailey

I heard the news just now on BBC News 24 - and it has deeply sadened me. My greatest sympathy goes out to the Adams family, and may God comfort his wife and daughter.

So Douglas, So Long and thanks for all the fun!
=======================
We miss you already smiley - sadface
=======================

Matthew Bailey
Windsor, UK

Post 9

Curry-Kev

Goodbye Douglas.

You were a wonderful inspiration throughout your life.
Long may your name and your work continue to inspire others across this world.

Love and Light,
Kev (England)

Post 10

Shirps

Farewell Mr Adams - your initials, DNA, is the stuff of life - that, indeed you were. Thank you for your brilliance,ingenuity,imagination and uniqueness that have inspired so many of us.

Wherever you are, don't forget the Vogons won't give you a lift - they won't realise just who you are!

All my love to you and greatest sympathy to your family.

Shirley
UK

Post 11

Cracka

It is remarkable how empty you feel even when someone you never truly knew is gone. I had always been waiting for perhaps the next Hitchhiker book, or maybe an actual electronic handheld Guide. Rest in peace, DNA, and don't forget your towel.

Post 12

Coyote

There is a tribute board set up on the BBC's website at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/talking_point/newsid_1326000/1326735.stm

Solong Douglas, you brought laughter and joy to so many

Key: Complain about this post