This is the Message Centre for MaW

Telnet

Post 1

Tom I.

Great entry on Telnet! I enjoyed reading it as well as subediting it. I always like a good entry dealing with hard-to-understand tech stuff. I think you succeeded in making it appropriately available for the readers you might encounter on h2g2.
smiley - smiley
Tom

Telnet

Post 2

MaW

Only because of the people who did the Peer Review thread! They're the ones who told me to tone it down a bit, so thanks to them!

And thanks to you as well, for an excellent subediting job!

Telnet

Post 3

Tom I.

Pretty much like diamonds, eh? Need a bit of cutting to be real good! But you can't cut a poor gemstone into a great diamond.

Gee, sometimes those clichés really do apply! smiley - smiley

Telnet

Post 4

MaW

Scary, that, isn't it!

I should perhaps do some work on a University project I'm supposed to be doing... but I think I'll get some sleep instead.

smiley - zzz

Telnet

Post 5

Tom I.

*turns out the light, carefully removes the keyboard from your hands, and toss the blanket around you. Leaves silently*

smiley - smiley
Tom

Telnet

Post 6

MaW

* wakes up, realises he's at work, yawns and goes to sleep again *

Telnet

Post 7

starlet

Hope you don't mind listening to the thoughts of a relative ignoramus but...

I resurrected this thread in the hope that somebody with more rounded knowledge could tell me why only some of the downloadable files off the net will download 'where you left off' if the link is broken and resumed?

My naive understanding is that there must be a part of TCP/IP designed to deal with this as the problem would have been around way before the WWW was invented.

As for broken links - why don't the search engines detect them? Or do they do this, but only irregularly?

I hope you think these questions are appropriate for this forum - I just couldn't find anywhere else for them! Please tell me if not.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for MaW

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more