A Conversation for h2g2 Smileys

Original Green Guy Smiley

Post 121

SEF

...and there's the lurker - without any need for a seance. Monster summoning spells work quite well enough.

NB I refer you to the concept of A, B and C arks Mina since you seem to have missed the relevance of the reference.

Post 122

I'm not really here

I might well have missed some relevance, and if I credited you with malice when you meant none, then I apologise. Your reputation for posting your contempt of most of the editorial team whenever you think it relevant meant that I judged your comment as being the same thing.

'the' lurker? And I thought lurkers came in six-packs...

Post 123

SEF

Can you find another five with the cutbacks?

Post 124

I'm not really here

Do you mean that you think I'm 'lurking' as part of the staff, or something similar? As far as I know, there has been no cutting back of Researchers, so I can't think what else you mean.

Post 125

SEF

You *are* part of the staff. The staff always seem to have posted "off-duty". It was staff that the seance/quest was attempting to attract/find.

However, there were some recent cutbacks of researchers - bannings and SSO and all. smiley - erm Many of the current researchers are merely computer generated clones and holding accounts to make the audience look bigger (as in StarWars and other films). smiley - weird

Post 126

I'm not really here

But I'm not part of the h2g2 staff, nor even of DNA staff. So although I understand that I am always a BBC employee, I'm not posting in any official capacity, so I'm not the sort of staff that they are trying to attract.

I'm not lurking you SEF, I occasionally bump into you in threads (we both read and post to support threads, and we do have some friends in common), but I don't follow you around. Normally I don't have much time on h2g2 at all, so I don't spend it following people around the site who don't post the sort of thing that I want to read.

Post 127

SEF

Ah, the old "these aren't the droids you're looking for" trick. I don't think they'll fall for that given that you could poke the right staff in the right direction.

I was referring to you lurking on h2g2, not to you lurking on me. smiley - online2long The staff have enough minions for that sort of thing anyway!

Post 128

I'm not really here

I can't point them I'm afraid. smiley - blue There needs to be a culture of Researchers posting to the right places to gain the Editors' attention. I was going to point them to the Feedback page, in a good Guru type way, considering they have actually had a response - technically not from an h2g2 Editor, but I did link to an Editor's post. That's generally considered answered.

Glad we got the other thing sorted out. smiley - ok

smiley - peacedove

Post 129

Baron Grim

Could you two keep it down back there, we're trying to hold a smiley - ghostseancesmiley - ghost.

::::a green mist forms over the table, coalescing into an orb shape... slowly a tendril forms on each side to form vaguely arm-like shapes... then a fissure opens in an arc along the bottom half of the sphere revealing teeth and a glistening red tongue. An ethereal voice is heard that can almost be made out to say, "oh, no. not again":::::

smiley - evilgrinCount Zerosmiley - winkeye

Post 130

egon

If you want to contact Jimster, natalie or Sam their U numbers are:

Natalie- U190181
Sam- U255
Jimster- U292

Or you could emailthem. their email should be easy to deduce from the corporation they work for and their names- http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/team

Original Galactic Hitchhiker smiley

Post 131

Ottox

Much earlier in this thread, I said that I thought the first use of the green guy was for the infocom game, and I don't think anybody has corrected me.
However, I was wrong. He has been used ever since the HHGTTG book first came out in US in '79 or '80. (Different pages gives different year, but look at http://www.floor42.com/jump.cgi?ID=232)

Post 132

SEF

So it was very much a green planet with a large mouth and tongue doing a "nah-nah" gesture. That's quite different from the plain but psychedelic UK book. It looks as though Harmony Books are the people to ask about copyright then.

Post 133

Baron Grim

Very nice link Otto. Very enlightening. I went through the various book covers and saw that several publishers used the same icon. Harmony always used it as well as Ballentine for the softcovers (probably related publishers), but Wing Books used it as well for the collections as did Longmeadow Press for the leatherbound edition (look carefully at the gold leaf in the corners). Our favourite little planet is also on the LP and laser disc (Fox) covers as well the DVD and VHS... oh yea, and the Infocom game. That's alot of different companies to be sharing copyright. I still say that whoever (if anyone) actually holds the copyright will NOT have a problem with it being used here.

smiley - vampire Count Zero

Post 134

WHO IS MATAR HARI

smiley - book

Post 135

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

hooray for whoever it is who keeps this place running. goodjob.smiley - ok

but I still wanna

one thing we could try - just keep typing wherever you would have the smiley, reguardless of whether such a smiley actually exists.

at least we have smiley - towel and smiley - dontpanic

i'm a bit of a programmer - I know HTML, QBASIC, Visual Basic, some console C++, and a few other insignifigant languages most people never hear of. I wanna learn java, perl, and whatever other languages it takes to write up the code for sites like this one - how does h2g2 work?
smiley - towelNerd42

Post 136

SEF

Have a look at <./>Versions</.> for how the site software has changed. NB You would also need SQL to interrogate the database (if you were allowed access).

Post 137

Baron Grim

Ok... I can't take it anymore...
I willingly show my ignorance.
I've tried for months to figure it out by context but no luck.
I get the general idea but just don't know what the actual words are...

What does NB stand for specifically?
I don't think it is in use in the States, or if it is it wasn't taught to me. (Make whatever judgements you want about the American Education system and I'll probably have a lesser opinion of it than you).

smiley - ta

(that does stand for "thanks alot" doesn't it?... this is getting bad. smiley - erm )

smiley - vampire Count Zero

Post 138

SEF

NB = nota bene = Latin for "note well".

It can be used for something not obvious or necessarily directly related to the preceding remarks but something of tangential importance which might otherwise be overlooked.

Post 139

Baron Grim

smiley - cheers

Post 140

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

somebody should get that added to A754490
smiley - towelNerd42

Key: Complain about this post