A Conversation for The h2g2 Community Consortium

access, privacy and money

Post 21

Sol

My only reservation about the voting for committee vs voting for Editor etc (I had the same thought as I was pottering round the supermarket! Great minds! Wheeee!) is the same as for having four (or more) layers of membership. Bit complicated. Heck of a thing to keep track of. And a bit unweildy for the two leadership groups involved, as I daresay there would be overlap, although I suppose one could deal with that by saying the Editor etc had creative control. Still.

Post 22

Mrs Zen

Is the model like running a theatre? You need people to make sure the roof's waterproof, the electricity's paid for, and the 'elf 'n' safety's healthy and safe. And you need other, prettier, people to do the artistic, theatrical stuff?

If this is a good analogy, then the mundane, legal, bean-county bits are done by the legal entity. The board ( or "bored") are responsible for things like insurance, accounts, bandwidth, servers and back-up, and things like that.

But the fun stuff, like editorial policy, what should and shouldn't go in the Guide, how the Volunteer schemes work, picking the Quote of The Day, thats all stuff the Community should own, run and vote on.

smiley - 2cents

Post 23

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - ok
Yeah, that'd be fun.
smiley - devil
And there's enough weeks in the year
that almost everybody can have their
7 days of fame.

smiley - sadface
Don't mind me, I'm still sulking cuz I never got picked.
It's my Canadian accent I think.
smiley - fullmoon
Seriously, you're right. There are a lot of Community Activities
and other site-oriented feedback that has gone too long untapped.
In future, we must wok like Egyptians!

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Post 24

Sol

I like that analogy. Actually the (better) private language schools work like that too. Business and ownership stuff is a separate team from the education management side. As long as the education management are basically in control of the quality of education then it's great. Occasionaly they have to be told that something is financially not on but...

It would work best of the Editor/ head of the creative side were also on the business team or at least in on all those meetings. I'm not sure what incentive people have for being on the business team though but I suppose you only need a few people if other are running the site.

Post 25

Z

Given that some people just wouldn't be able to be on the business team, we wouldn't want it to be something that lots of people would feel left out if you couldn't join. For instance you couldn't be a signatory on our bank account if you were 15, living in Arizona, and only willing to give your real name as 'Chief of Mice'.

That doesn't mean that you couldn't be involved on the Editorial and Community Team..

Post 26

Sol

Yeah yeah. I'm sold. You're right of course.

Post 27

Sol

Sorry. That wasn't meant to sound dismissive. I _am_ sold.

Post 28

Z

I've re-written the h2g2c2 A page, and I hope that it better explains what's going on.

Please do let me know what you think of it Kea - I'm keen to find out.

I'm going to work on the other pages, that explain our proposal in more detail.

Post 29

Z

I've spent most of today tidying up the communication. I hope that this makes more sense to everyone, I'd be awfully grateful if kea, especially could take a look..

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more