A Conversation for Barlesque Feedback

Links to conversation threads.

Post 1

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

All the links on my PS to conversation threads, dont' get translated into links to those conversations in the new version of the site.
This will mean any entry, going back years, E.G., meet pages etc., will all have incorrect links on them in terms of when they're displayed on the new site, unless the old thread/post linking method can be transnlated automatically by the server into whatsoever the new formular is for the conversation thread/post addresses.

Post 2

Damnyoureyes

Hopefully links within entries to threads should get converted to the right place now, if there are others not working can you let me know.

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Damnyoureyes, are we talking about the same thing here?

In a typical GuideML entry, in the old system I´d put a link to a conversation as follows:

<LINK H2G2="F77636?thread=645787&skip=29">Jimster on Freedom of Speech

Are you saying that this should now work and bring me to the conversation? (It doesn´t).

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Oh, my posting didn´t display properly in Barlesque. If you look at that in Brunel, you´ll see what I´m saying.

Post 5

Gnomon-- Those are exactly the sort of links I'm talking about; Use them all the time in my personal space (handy to have some quick links to conversations that may be way way down on the convo list, but which I sometimes want to find in a hurry).

I also use links like that a lot in the pages for meets; linking to the sign up conversation etc...

I've not had a chance yet this morning to go to the new version of the site, as soon as I've had lunch I shall though and I'll test out some of the links, in this format, which are on my personal space (all of which I know work fine when viewing in the old site with alabaster, plain, and classic, and I guess the other skins too) smiley - zen

Post 6

shagbark

I'm not so sure this is a bug but rather a change in rules of syntax.
it seems to mde the link you listed would now be
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/forums/A639056/conversation/view/77636/T645787/page/4
and if the one in you page were replaced with that one the PS in newhootoo would go to it.

Post 7

shagbark

however it does appdear that this method will only get you a group of 10 posts not to the one you actually wanted (post 30)

Post 8

It does I think seem to be working now; just tried it with the links to conversations on my personal space (the list of links I have put in the body of my personal space, not the list of conversations etc), they now seem to work, but of course only take you to the first page, not the last page; on long threads It takes an age, to keep hitting the buttons for the subsequent pages, as it doesn&#39;t have a link to the &#39;last post&#39; on the thread, or the &#39;last page&#39;.

Post 9

shagbark

In the upper tright of new conversations is a list of pages followed by two symbols. click the symbol at farthest right and it goes to the last page.

Post 10

shagbark

for what it is worth, I think it would have been better if they had programmed it to go there without having to do that.

Post 11

I had a look for those symbols earlier; I can't see them at all with my screen-reader....
It has err I think somethign like:
graphic next
graphic previous
graphic previous
graphic previous

And, as your on the first page when you come to it, the 'graphic previous' links are inactive... smiley - erm which makes sense of course as there isn't a previous page to page 1... but the only way I can get to the end of the convo, would be to click the last page number given, e.g., 7, then the new page which comes up may if I'm lucky offer me page 10 as the highest number... then page 13... then page 17 or some such... which makes getting up to page 987 a bit ... a lot bluddy annoying and so slow that if this is how it ends up being, then goodluck, I won't be here to use it.

Post 12

shagbark

sorry to hear that. I am in firefox with a fullsize monitor
and on mine it reads |< space < 1 2 3 4 5 6 space > space >|
so for me if I want to get to posting 10316 I click on >| and it takes me there.

Post 13

The H2G2 Editors

Hi all. We're working on a fix for the Conversation links, that should work on both the old and new site. Cheers. smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post