A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Calling all hypocondriacs

Post 1

Niz (soon to be gone)

Probably spelt the above wrong but nevermind.

Anyway I need to know what I have picked up in the infection department.

Symptoms: I have developed a soreness in my throat but only when I talk, if I stay silent it is as if nothing is wrong. I don't smoke and I am not much of a shouter (don't have the energy or conviction to yell).

Any ideas?????

Post 2

Wand'rin star

I hope it got better - five weeks plus is rather too long to wait for a reply if it was life-threatening.
Sounds psychosomatic to me. Perhaps you're always putting your foot in it when you talk? or you feel that what you have to say is less interesting than the other bods in the conversation. Or you're a secondary school teacher or a mother of young children and you're saving it for when you HAVE TO SHOUT? smiley - star

Post 3

Researcher 99947

Have you gone to the doctor? You could just have a swelling, your vocal chords could be scratched, etc etc. It could literally be a hundred different things.

It has always been my opinion that h2g2 needs a more active medical team, not only consultants... Full time researchers that go about, trying to suggest proper treatments for other researcher's ailments... hmm...

Just an opinion of mine...

Post 4

Researcher 99947

However an impractical one it is smiley - tongueout

Post 5

Wand'rin star

I don't think I'd trust the "medical" knowledge of some of my favourite h2g2 "doctors" and the legal ramifications are horrific. But one of the splendid things about this site is that we can all weigh in with (un)professional opinions.smiley - star

Post 6

Researcher 99947

h2g2 currently has medical consultants- real doctors who help in guide entries. I was merely saying that it would be nice if some of those consultants were actual researchers who had their own page, "ask the doctor" etc. Like I said, impractical

Post 7

Niz (soon to be gone)

Well it is still there and no I haven't seen a doctor yet, but what a good idea to have a place here where people with no training what so ever can dispense inaccurate advice to the ill.. eg.

Inviting people with chronic asthma to try a marathon

Working in a snickers (or Marathons as I still call them) factory for someone with a serious penut allergy.

Post 8

Pink Paisley

My doctor says that I am a hypocondriac. I am sure that I can't have that as well!

Key: Complain about this post