A Conversation for Ask h2g2

New Years Resolutions

Post 1

Fat Mammoth

Mine is "Try not to do anything stupid" I was just wonderring what everyone elses was.

New Years Resolutions

Post 2

Salamander the Mugwump

Mine is that if some piece of equipment I buy breaks down before it's 5 years old, I'm not going to replace it until it is 5 years old. I'm not going in for any more of those extended warranty things that aren't worth the paper they're written on either.

Actually, this might be a first. I can't remember ever making a new year's resolution before.

New Years Resolutions

Post 3

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

I resolved never to make another new year's resolution. Oh bugger....

New Years Resolutions

Post 4

I resolved never to achieve a new year's resolution.

I did, really.

Ahem. Sorry, no, I didn't... I was just making conversation...

smiley - smiley

New Years Resolutions

Post 5

Zak T Duck

Ok I've got several and hopefully I'll stick to them

1. Keep a positive attitude.

2. Don't panic.

3. Take on another responsibility

4. Learn to program half decent in C++, Java and Visual Basic (all necessary to get a 1st next year). Failing that, plead with Mark Moxon to give me a job doing anything, even tea boy sounds good.

New Years Resolutions

Post 6

Deano (Keeper of lemonade)

My new years resolution is the same as it has been every year since I did my GCSE's.

'Work hard, enjoy it, and the rest is a bowl of cherries'.

I've kept it so far!.

New Years Resolutions

Post 7

Is mise Duncan

Mine is to seek professional help.

I should point out that I mean professional help with getting my car back on the road smiley - laugh.

New Years Resolutions

Post 8

Niz (soon to be gone)

I resolved that I would be less cynical and less miserable but then 4 minutes after the stroke of midnight I realised that there was no point in a resolution like that as something terrible is bound to happen and a positive outlook on life would leave me ill prepared.

Happy 2001 everyone!!!

New Years Resolutions

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

Salamander,

Are you going to fix the broken machinery or are you just going to do without it until the 5 years is up?

My house is full of household appliances which I have fixed so often that they look like something from Sid's room in Toy Story. My trusty meccano set has been used as a source of metal parts. My most recent addition was a "drive cradle" made of Meccano to mount a second hard disk inside my trusty IBM Personal Computer AT box, which only has room for one hard disk. The AT box itself dates from 1986 but the parts inside have been changed so many times I have difficulty remembering what's in there. Mind you, I still have the same television I got in 1983 and it's never broken down.

New Years Resolutions

Post 10

Abi

oh hell where to start....

well I have promised to say at least one nice thing about the person I hate most in all the world (Mum's boyfriend) one a week...

That is really optimistic though.....

And I am mentally telling myself to live each day as though it is my last...

but then sitting next to Sam everyday is a life and death situation anyway smiley - laughsmiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeye

(just joking Sam!!!)

New Years Resolutions

Post 11

TIGERLILY

Mine's to drink less alcohol. I haven't been drinking it at all really for the past few months as I'm pregnant, just a few shandys or white wines but before that I drank quite heavily when I went out. Lots of beer and Jack Daniels, enough to black out at the end of the night or to do something really stupid and embarrassing (but usually both) on a regular basis anyway!
Cheers! smiley - ale

New Years Resolutions

Post 12

Salamander the Mugwump

You're clearly a far more talented and resourceful entity than I am, Gnomon. No, I was just going to let them moulder away in a corner somewhere and sulk about it for a while. I think it might turn out to require more self-discipline than I can muster if the computer goes. I've just got really fed up with things that go wrong within a few months of purchase (straight away in the case of the computer) and the way the sellers manage to palm you off with expensive extended warranties that, when the time comes to depend on them, turn out to be a complete waste of money. I have a number of depressing examples I could trot out, but I'll spare you. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post