A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Passwords

Post 1

Tenorsax

How do I find out or change my password. At the moment in preference it's just an irritatingly smug line of ****. I've tried to change it to soething I will remember and it seems to come back the same. Help?

Passwords

Post 2

Venus In Cornflowers

Click on 'preference' and enter your new password (deleting the old), then enter it again in the box below. Click update details, and it will be done. The number of xxxxxxx don't necessarily represent the number of letters in your password (I think). How's that?

Welcome to the Guide. Cute name.smiley - smiley

Passwords

Post 3

Bald Bloke

Don't worry the number of stars is fixed, so you have changed your password. See http://www.h2g2.com/F615?thread=82817&latest=1 The only way to check your password works is to delete the h2g2 cookie by using the logout button and then log back in using your password. A word of caution before doing this if you get the password wrong you will only be able to get back into h2g2 via the email you were sent when you joined. So if possible have your original email to hand incase you get the password wrong. PS the above is not meant to worry you I use a number of differnt computers and I've never had a problem with the password system (So Far!), but its better to be safe than sorry.

Passwords

Post 4

Venus In Cornflowers

Of course, if h2g2 gets taken over by someone else... say a large corporation like the BBC... it all becomes irrelevant anyway.smiley - laugh

Oh dear Bald Bloke... looks like we lost another one.smiley - cry

Shame... he had a very interesting instrument...

Passwords

Post 5

GreyDesk

Ah-ha! I see someone else picks on really old conversations just for the fun of itsmiley - smiley

Passwords

Post 6

Venus In Cornflowers

Or has possibly just braved the terror of the BBC account conversion process, and reactivated her account.smiley - smiley

Nice to meet you.smiley - rose

Passwords

Post 7

Tefkat

What a lovely name Venus smiley - ok

Passwords

Post 8

Venus In Cornflowers

Thankyou.smiley - biggrin

Yours is very... long.smiley - blush

Passwords

Post 9

Tefkat

Being dyslexic I needed a name I would remember (for signing in) so I called myself Trillion - but people kept confusing me with Trillian's Child, so it became The Entity Formerly Known As Trillian...which someone shortened... smiley - puff

Passwords

Post 10

Venus In Cornflowers

OICsmiley - bigeyes

Passwords

Post 11

GreyDesk

Nice to meet you Venus. I managed to screw up the registration period twice in an afternoon after clearing out my cookie store. So there are two others of me out there somewheresmiley - smiley

Passwords

Post 12

Venus In Cornflowers

It is as well that the registration process has changed, or I could never have reactivated my account. The e-mail address it used to be on is long since deceased.smiley - ghost

Although in many ways it would not have mattered too much if I had needed to create a new account, as all of my 'interesting' old conversations have disappeared.smiley - blue

smiley - angel

Passwords

Post 13

Tefkat

Try not to bump into them. I gather that normally presages death smiley - ghost

Passwords

Post 14

Tefkat

smiley - yikes
That was an answer to Grey.

You could start some new interesting ones VIC smiley - smiley

Passwords

Post 15

Venus In Cornflowers

Always best not to bump into

Start some new interesting ones is what I hope to do.smiley - winkeye

smiley - angel

Passwords

Post 16

a visitor to planet earth

Passwords are a nuisance to remember. h2g2 made me select another password a while ago, dont know why, but my old password still works on the bbc message boards.

Passwords

Post 17

Mina

h2g2 and the messageboards use two different systems.

Passwords

Post 18

Tefkat

smiley - bigeyes That was a blast from the past.

Key: Complain about this post