A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 1

Orcus

Just to continue the theme... smiley - evilgrin

I was trying to find a Ghandi quote that might be debatable but I can't find one I don't agree with. Can anyone do better?

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 2

Orcus

"“Hitler killed five million Jews. It is the greatest crime of our time. But the Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher’s knife. They should have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs.” ~ George Orwell’s “Reflections on Gandhi,” Partisan Review, Jan. 1949"

If that's a real quote then I guess I just did.

Actually I'm starting to like the thrust of these threads- who in history has been pure white or pure black?

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 3

Swl

Quite a few racist quotes he's alleged to have said - http://atlantablackstar.com/2015/03/31/not-all-peaceful-13-racist-quotes-gandhi-said-about-black-people/

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

To me, it seems inherent in all living things that they should try to survive. Some can have their minds messed with by oppressors, but on some level this is still a work-around that offers survival, however minimal. smiley - sadface

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 5

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

there is no right or wrong, no black ofr white, its all shades of grey at the end of the day. I like the idea of pacifism though.... its just hard to do in practise all the time... smiley - zen but certainly something I think a lot more people aiming towards, consistantly, woudl indeed make the world a better place... perhaps... smiley - alienfrownsmiley - ufosmiley - zen

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 6

Hoovooloo

Pacifism is a lovely principle and it's very easy to practise as long as it's other people - people who aren't you or anyone you love - doing the dying.

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 7

Hitler seems to have been afraid of Gandhi somehow. or am I thinking of someone else?

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 8

Orcus

Oh pish, did I spell his name wrong in the thread title - smiley - rolleyes

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 9

"I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right" has been attributed to at least four of the following people:

P.T. Bharnum, Mhark Twain, Oschar Wilde, and Big Tim Sullivhan.

smiley - winkeye

phaulh

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 10

Orcus

smiley - rofl

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 11

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

"Actually I'm starting to like the thrust of these threads- who in history has been pure white or pure black?"

... NOBODY ...

Except Himmler. I don't care how much he doted on his family. I hate Himmler.

smiley - pirate

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 12

Orcus

Yeah, I'd go with that.

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 13

I haven't heard of anything good about him.

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 14

Orcus

Well to win the title of 'Most Evil Nazi' you gotta play hardball.

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 15

Hoovooloo

Even if you've only got one...

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 16

smiley - laugh

Was Ghandi wrong?

Post 17

Orcus

smiley - snork