A Conversation for Ask h2g2

question on peoples experience/knowledge of using induction hobs?

Post 1

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

OK, I've only ever had success using gas as it alters quick enough to make sense its temp, for the purpose of cooking, and I've never found elec hobs alter temp quick enough; as I understand it, because they work differntly, induction hobs don't suffer this problem.

Most are touch controls which is no good for me, I cna't use them, but there are some with olde-style rotery controls, which sparked in me my interest as currently, for consideration with regards to the new kitchen hopeing we'll soon have. - plus I've just had the gas mains running to the gas hob in th ekitchen declaired dangerous and disconnected at source, and it would be such a major job to route a new gas mains up from the cupboard downstairs into the loft, through the utility room, and into the kitchen... so also thinking sticking to electric would make sense (and save a fortune there too).

ut I can't use ordinary elec... tey are just rubbish for cooking on.

But; basically with the induction hob, you've a big flat plain surface, divided visually I guess, into four sections that you then know ar ethe four hobs; so, how accurate do you have to be with positioning the pan, on the hob your using?: will it still heat at all, if its wonky on where its seated, or will it heat unevenly, if not positioned 100% accurate to the visual indication of where the given hob is? if that makes sense... smiley - alienfrownsmiley - cdouble - actually we're thinking of not having a fitted one, but a plug into the wall commercial four ring 3000 w induction hob, to enable having more worktop place/space for when hob isn't being used smiley - alienfrownsmiley - grovel

Post 2

bobstafford

Brilliant just position as you would on a gas hob as the heat is created in the bottom of the pan. Clean quick and simple smiley - cheers

Post 3

bobstafford

Just keep the pan in the white linessmiley - smiley

Post 4

bobstafford

Also you can cook or warm food on your dining table smiley - ok

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"a projection at the back or side of a fireplace on which something may be kept warm."

This was news to me, a new word that I hadn't heard before.

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

2legs, you don't have to be very accurate in placing the pots. I often find that about half the pot is outside the white circle but it still works.

A powerful induction hob will heat yourfaster than a gas ring but it is slighly slower cooling down because the pos are thicker.

You may have to buy new pots to go with your induction hob. Check te base of each pot with a magnet. If the magnet sticks, the pot is suitable for induction.

Paulh, what's the word?

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

I have an induction hob now, and had to buy new pans as my previous ones were aluminium.

I sort of think that if the pan isn't fully on the ring then it is hotter on one side than the other, but it is probably more expectation than reality because of the way the heat is generated in the pan base.

The one problem I do have compared to my gas hob is with the wok - I tested it with a magnet, so it will work with induction, but the base of it is considerably smaller in diameter than the smallest hob ring. It seems to get much hotter on the base than the saucepan does on the same setting, but not so hot at the sides, so I have to be really careful to keep stirring the food to make sure things don't burn and stick to the base...

The main advantage for me is the Power Boost which boils a pan of water fast, so I can make my favourite pasta meal much more quickly smiley - biggrin

Post 8

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"Paulh, what's the word?"

Hob.

Post 9

I really must try find someone local who's got one so I can try it out... - its the ring/hob cooling fast, like on gas, that's kinda important, E.g., quick frying something for a specific length of time, then wanting it to sop/reduce instantly like on gas, before then adding wahtever the next ingredient might be, E.G., heavy frying choriso for a couple minutes, then wanting heat lowered, and then adding onions, then quickly increasing heat, until they're going, and reducing again to the right level of frying etc smiley - alienfrown - sort of tempted by idea of a commercial induction hob I've seen, which is just plug into regular 13 amp socket, so when not in use can be sotred away; hence say when making bread there is sufficient worktop without a hob in the middle, to work on smiley - weird plus it'd mean not having to have the new gas mains put in to replace the leaking iron one smiley - doh

Post 10

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, the induction hob is quick reacting in terms of temperature change, because the only heat on the hob itself is the heat transferred to it from the pan, so it is quickly cool to the touch when the power is turned off.

Post 11

excellent... That's always been the problem with ordinary electric hobs, they just don't respond to changes in the thermostat/dial in any sensible time-span for the actual task of cooking smiley - zen guess it'l take some time to get used to though, I've never cooked on anything other than gas smiley - weirdsmiley - chef

Post 12

bobstafford

Post 9
Thats what we did and it was wiped and away in the cupboard within 10 minutes of use smiley - ok good idea if you want space

Post 13

want and desperatly need space in this kitchen smiley - laugh its just teh wrong shaped room... three walls can't have anything on, as they've got doors, windows, radiator, etc, and so everythign is just on the one longish wall... so, having a really nice long bit of worktop there, would be great, E.G., for rolling out baguettes and making pitta on smiley - zensmiley - chef and we can sotre the hob away in a cupbaord in the utility room nextdoor to the kitchen, so it is easily accessible but not even taking up kitchen cupboard space smiley - zensmiley - cool

Post 14

bobstafford

Sounds a smiley - cool modern kitchen plan

Post 15

not sure about htat!- it will jut have floor tiles that arn't splattered with paint that won't wash/clean off, a worktop that isn't stained to beyond cleaning and cupboards with drawers and doors that work!; its old..... and really has been utalised well beyond its useful lifespan; I like to think that is me, making the most of it, and utalisting it to its maximum, and now, just facing up to it having worked beyond its natural lifespan smiley - laugh; think it probably dates from late 70s (certainly floor tiles do), and 80s, (cupboards etc I think) smiley - laugh There isn't anything much of it to preserve, cept maybe the fridge/freezer, that is only a few years old, and some of the plates, pans, and suchlike that are all a lot more recent of course smiley - snorksmiley - grovel - I might actually have a kitchen I can clean properly! smiley - grovel - functional is main call for it to be... not so worried about asetics; certainly as few fancy beveled pointless edges and crevices to grab grot and dirt as possible smiley - grovel

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

Paulh, i wasn't aware of that meaning of the word "hob". The one we're discussing here translates to "stove-top" in American English.

Key: Complain about this post