A Conversation for Ask h2g2

HR type folks - pls help me with a reference

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

We have someone here who is leaving our company and therefore we're writing a reference. It's in German so we're following the usual German protocols.

however we will also provide a translation (done by us) and I would like to ask about the ending that we'll write. In German (and I guess in English) we have to be careful and specific.

Therefore for the closing part we want to make 3 things clear:

1. he's leaving of his own accord (there is no downsizing, redundancy or sacking here - he's just going)
2. we are sorry that he's going (ie. if he wasn't leaving we're happy for him to stay)
3. we wish him the best for the future

are there any standard expressions for this kind of thing?

Post 2

Deb

Can you just say it like it is? Eg, "We are sorry John has decided to leave us but wish him well in the future".

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 3

Icy North

Say it like it is? smiley - huh

No, this is one of those situations where officespeak is de rigeur.

You might want to say why he's going: "John has been offered a chance to clean toilets at the Dorchester - a challenge that he couldn't refuseā€¦"

Or mention his legacy: "When John joined us four years ago, our housekeeping services were creaking at the seams, but with his hard work and attention to detail he has managed to turn this tanker around. He leaves us a motivated and high-performing team using best practices and cutting edge technology, delivering the best rest-room management in the industry."

Or mention the handover: "With the in-flight strategic refurbishment of washroom facilities in the Management Suite, John won't be rushing off, giving us time to properly manage a seamless transition."

Post 4

Yelbakk

Icy, you scare me smiley - laugh

Post 5

You can call me TC

This subject has come up before and I don't think (although I find this surprising) that there are set phrases for references in Anglo-Saxon practice.

There are some nasty phrases which sound sugary-sweet in German which is a sort of HR code (for an employee's inadequacies)from one company to the other without actually saying it like it is. These have somehow got around and I don't know if HR departments have had to develop new "codes" or if they still use the old ones. I have heard of people simply not using their references if too many of these implications are included, as it would certainly reduce their chances of being taken on anywhere else.

In these times, I am sure we all wish John every success with his next set of loos. smiley - cheerupsmiley - cheerupsmiley - cheerupsmiley - cheerup

Post 6

Beatrice

Current thinking in reference writing is to keep it factual and objective. So just the dates that he worked for the company, with no mention of how valuable he was or how he'll be missed.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more