A Conversation for Ask h2g2

50 things to do before you are 12

Post 1

Storm

The National Trust have launched a campaign; 50 things to do before you are 12. It includes things such as ‘balance on a fallen tree’ and there are instructions. I have a ridiculous mental image of parents going out to scout a suitable tree then driving the child to the tree ignoring any other distracting things that are not on the list.

What would be on your list? What must a child do?

Post 2

Z

Plant a seed and watch it grow.

Read a book.

Attempt to write and illustrate a book.

Camp out in the garden without an adult (maybe a bit advanced for 12).

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

I'll base my list on things I did myself.

Catch small animals such as beetles, mosquito larvae, bees and wasps, tadpoles, frogs etc.

Learn how to climb trees.

Build a tree-house.

Use a large magnifying glass to set fire to things by focusing the sun's rays on to them.

Plant some flower seeds and watch them grow for a whole season.

Fly a kite.

Blow down a pig's nostrils.

Milk a cow.

Post 4

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Whatever you damn well like. You're a child. You're bound to have some good ideas, even without a set of instructions.

Post 5

Storm

I think 12 would be fine for camping in the garden. Maybe even somewhere more adventerous...although I'm ridiculously over protective.

Wild camping is illegal in England which I'd love to do (with or without a child).

What happens when you blow in a pigs nostrils? Why do you do it? I'm fascinated!

Post 6

I always blow down horses' and donkeys' nostrils when I get a chance. I'm told they enjoy it. Whatever - I do,

Post 7

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

You sure that was the nostrils? smiley - whistle

Learn to roll a cigarette...

Wild camping illegal? smiley - huhsmiley - erm Oughta definately be on the list nethertheless...

Learn to start and light a fire and keep it alight...

Ride a horse (or smiley - pony ).

Canoe... (or/and sail etc)...

Fish...

Learn to swim..

Probably a ton of other stuff too smiley - erm *thinks* smiley - erm

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

Pigs react very strangely when you blow down their nostrils. They start to whine very loudly, as if they were being tortured, but at the same time, they appear to enjoy it, as they get as close as they can, and a whole herd of pigs will attempt to mob you if you do this. Make sure they're behind a good solid gate.

Post 9

Peanut

Sleep under the smiley - starsmiley - star

go on a night walk

go on an adventure/mystery tour, on foot or by bike, give them a good breakfast, back packs and be back by tea

Post 10

Storm

'Learn to roll a cigarette...'

smiley - biggrin yes definitely depends on the type of childhood

-know which offlicenses will serve you
-be able to hotwire a car
-know which bits of different types of cars are removable and saleable
-know the criiminal age of responsibility
-have a ring of love bits
-run away from home for at least one night
-play chicken on the railway line

Post 11

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Ooo I forgot one! smiley - biggrin

and I used to do this, after plucking up the courage the first time, and discovering I didn't kill myself in the process smiley - snork :

Jump out of your bedroom window (1st floor) smiley - boing Proved an excellent way to supprise people who'd just rung the doorbell smiley - snorksmiley - blush

Explore a deralict house smiley - ghost

Night hiking is a good one, we did that quite young I seem to recall... probably the scouts or something... smiley - huhsmiley - weird

Thought of some others;

Learn to cook... things like cake, pizza pasta stuff, etc... smiley - zensmiley - chef (it was kind of learn to cook or be very hungry and not eat for me when I was young) smiley - blushsmiley - hotdogsmiley - burgersmiley - erm

Post 12

Effers;England.

I did all the stuff Gnomon did aside from the pig's nostrils thing.

Go fishing

Ask for a microscope and a chemistry set for christmas/birthday.

(Z 12 is fairly old..to *start* camping out smiley - winkeye)

Post 13

Live and learn, live and learn. Next time I happen upon a pig I shall certainly blow down its nostrils.

Post 14

Secretly Not Here Any More

Use a penknife to carve something
Dress a stab wound on the finger knuckle
Work out how to get blood out of your shirt to stop your parents asking questions
Learn how to use a penknife without cutting your finger knuckle off.

I was in scouting. I'd learned all of that by age 12...

Post 15

I shocked my kids the other day. At fourteen they were having difficulty lighting a candle without burning their fingers. I pointed out that at their age I was making petrol bombs. (My neighbour from Armagh taught me. smiley - smiley)

Post 16

I'm not really here

Keep worms in a margerine pot of dirt with airholes poked in the lid on your windowsill and learn that yes, they die without water!

Or was that just me? smiley - blush

Post 17

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

visit a farm in spring and feed some of the animals
collect bugs of different shapes and sizes
cook marshmallows over a campfire
build a den (not necessarally up a tree)

Post 18

SiliconDioxide

I think my children have scored all but a half dozen on the NT's list. I would add the following, without which you obviously aren't trying to get close to nature:
Get bitten by a tiger beetle, a wood ant, water boatman and a female stag-beetle. Get nipped by an earwig and a shore crab. Get stung by a nettle and a wasp. Get a graze from a barnacle and a cut from a flint.

Post 19

Up here that would be 'get eaten alive by midgies'. Not difficult to achieve. Just send 'em outdoors during our pitiful excuse for a summer.

Post 20

quotes

Why aren't things like "create your own website" on the list? Which century are we in?

Key: Complain about this post