A Conversation for Ask h2g2

A Failure of Market Economics

Post 1

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

I like plain chocolate Bountys. Whenever I see plain chocolate Bountys in a shop, I buy one. But I very, very, *very* seldom see plain chocolate Bountys. In fact I can't think of one single shop or supermarket where I would be guaranteed to find a plain chocolate Bounty.

This to me seems most odd. If there were more plain chocolate Bountys in the shops, not only would my lust for plain chocolate Bountys be sated more often, but Mars Inc would get more money off me. Don't they want my money? What are they? Commies?

Obligatory Question:

Are there any Essential Products that you have difficulty finding? Anything you grab whenever you have the chance?

'Course under Communism there'd be plain chocolate Bountys for all the Workers. Whether they wanted them or not.

Post 2

SiliconDioxide

100W light bulbs obviously.

But more generally, I'd like to buy that old, unimproved soap powder.

Post 3

Tangentially...I was wondering if anyone makes soap powder without blue flecks? My Grandma and Pop used to mix (white) soap powder into a paste and use it to make table decorations for Christmas.

Post 4

Geggs

*wonders whether to smiley - yikes post#3 for being off-topic*

*remembers that we aren't under the BBC any more, so off-topic is fine*

*considers that anyone who wants a plain chocolate Bounty may be adverse to Topic as a rule anyway*

*recognises the futility of existence*

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

I also eat plain chocolate Bountys. The shop around the corner stocks them. But I suspect I am the only person who buys them, and if I stop buying them, they'll have a load of chocolate bars on their hands until they reach their best by dates.

Post 6

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Plain chocolate Bounties... smiley - drool in my old work the vending machine would sometimes have them. It was only ever me who bought them... for some reason that office had a lot of people who think stuff like Galaxy is proper chocolate.

Post 7

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

my uni shop sometimes has them.

I'm slightly more allowed dark chocolate than milk, haven't seen them for a while.

minismiley - mouse

Post 8

If you ever give up, Gnomon, they can always send 'em to me.

Although it's questionable whether I'll like them quite so much if I have a surfeit. They may be like lampreys, that way. Only coconuttier.

Post 9

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

There are several things that I buy from Sainscos or Tesburys that they seem to supply for just long enough for them to become established in our routine shop and then stop selling smiley - steam

Then, if I happen to be in another supermarket somewhere else and see them I buy a dozen (they tend to be store cupboard ingredients like spice pastes). And for some reason our Sainscos stocks every possible variety of stock cube except pork. smiley - weird

Post 10

>>I'm slightly more allowed dark chocolate than milk

It being more wholemeal, like. smiley - smiley Same with demerara sugar.

Post 11

You don't see Daims/Dimes that much either...although you can always go to Ikea.

But they don't sell...http://tinyurl.com/cl6adg2

Post 12

We've got a big box of pork stock you can have, Kelli. It's about 6 years old, mind you.

Post 13

"You don't see Daims/Dimes that much either"

I can live with that. Ghastly things.

Post 14

Little Lost Mammoth

Allisons White Bread Flour with added grains makes really nice bread, but is really hard to find.

Post 15

Slightly more leftfield...I always snap up cartons of Ayran when I see them. (Turkish salted yoghurt drink. Very refreshing). You commonly get it in supermarkets in Germany and Scandiwegia, but not here.

Also - cartons of buttermilk. I think Morrisons are the only supermarket that does it locally. I always buy a few...and then all but one sit in my fridge for months.

Post 16

Icy North

I love plain chocolate Bounties, and I've always found them at Waitrose smiley - smiley

Post 17

Aha! Not many Waitroses in Scotland...but there's one near me. smiley - ta

(Although I'll not be allowed to go there *and* Whole Foods.)

Post 18

U14993989

I find that our local market no longer seems to stock powdered Rhino's horn while the price of dried Tiger's penises have gone through the roof.

Post 19

Can you get it over the counter?

If I could I wouldn't need the Rhino's Horn in the first place. smiley - run

Post 20

There was a break in at our local pharmacy the other night. Thieves got away with their entire stock of v1gara.

Police are looking for a gang of hardened criminals.

(ba-dam TISH!)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more