A Conversation for Ask h2g2

A second language

Post 21

Vip

Thanks to the link for phrasal verbs. smiley - smiley It scares me how little I know about my own language. We are taught nothing about the structure of English at school. Makes learning other languages harder as well!

I know what you mean Yarreau - it's often the little words that make all the difference in English. smiley - biggrin

smiley - fairy

A second language

Post 22

Yarreau

Here's an example smiley - winkeye:

When Dad came home he was astonished to see Alec sitting on a horse, writing something. " What on earth are you doing there ?" he asked.
"Well, the teacher told us to write an essay on our favourite animal. That's why I'm here and that's why Susie's sitting in the goldfish bowl !" smiley - fishsmiley - hsif

A second language

Post 23

Vip

smiley - laugh Yes yes, that's just it.

on = on top of
on = about

English has so many words, why do we have to have two (or more) meanings for some of them? smiley - laugh

smiley - fairy

A second language

Post 24

Not the monkey - Skreeeeeeeeeeeee

I once had a wrangle with a language pedant who was railing against people saying ~Far be it from me to say...~

Thats just a meaningless jumble of words, she said, It should be ~Far be it *for* me to say...~!!!

smiley - erm Ill accept that only one is Standard English, but how is For less meaningless than From?

A second language

Post 25

toybox

It's like night and day. The first sentence is totally un-understandable, while the second one is crystal clear.

A second language

Post 26

hygienicdispenser

>> ~Far be it from me to say...~

Is correct because the 'from' goes with the 'far'..."It is far from me" meaning "It is far (away) from me".

"It is far for me" doesn't make sense. Though I guess at a stretch it could mean "It's a long way for me (to go)"

A second language

Post 27

Yarreau

I am also pretty sure that "far be it from me" is correct, and "far be it for me" is a corrupted version.

It's a bit along the lines of people saying, "I could care less" when they really mean to say, "I couldn't care less."

A second language

Post 28

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I've always thought of "Far be it from me..." as meaning "I hope it will continue to be far away from me..." Just to make it completely clear, 'far away' would mean the same as 'very different'. So the full, expanded version would be, "This is very different from the kind of things I normally do, and I hope it will continue to be very different to the kind of things I normally do," [but]...
"Far be it from me..." is quicker.

Also, to paraphrase Winston Churchill, misuse of phrasal verbs is precisely the sort of thing up with which I will not put! smiley - winkeye

A second language

Post 29

mmh5y

thank you Robert Thompson smiley - biggrin

{{Also, to paraphrase Winston Churchill, misuse of phrasal verbs is precisely the sort of thing up with which I will not put!}}-- why?smiley - ermsmiley - biggrin

A second language

Post 30

Youre missing the point with Far be it for/from, maybe

The Standard English is For. Many people say From - but this is regarded as a (lets say) Not Right. Its an possible to argue that From is more sensible, but ultimately its irrelevant because...well...language doesnt work that way. Everything its arbitrary: why do we call a four legged animal that says Woof a Dog and one that says Meow a Cat rather than vice versa? Because we do!

Now, OK...we *do* agree some patterns amongst ourselves, But pronoun use in phrasal verbs is an area in which patterns are really hard to discern. You just have to learn them the way you do German noun genders.

A second language

Post 31

hygienicdispenser

You've got it about face there Ed. "Far be it from me..." is the 'correct' version, "far be it for me..." is the mangled version.

A second language

Post 32

Apologies. You are correct.

A second language

Post 33

Yarreau

Actually - I had never heard "far be it FOR me" until I read it in this conversation... smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post