A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How can I survive in London for a full year?

Post 1

passenger

I've always been a bit too courageous but this time I probably must be mad. I'm a seventeen year old girl from Germany and I'll move to a friends' house in London in three weeks.
I really need survival training in this city!!!!!
Help!
kim

Post 2

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Hi Kim!

Rule 1) You will never go hungry in London - there are THOUSANDS of cafes and takeaways.
Rule 2) You will never go thirsty - there are thousands of pubs in London.
Rule 3) You will NEVER get lost in London - you are never more than 5 minutes walk from a Tube Station, and if you can find a Tube Station, you know where you are, and how to get where you are going!!

Hope this helps
G

Post 3

passenger

Thank you a lot...
...but what to do when I get bored in London? Do you live there? Do you know in which pubs and clubs the youths and twens prefer in this area?

Post 4

TIGERLILY

I'm a born and bred true Londoner so if I could be of any assistance. What part of London are you staying in ?

Post 5

Niz (soon to be gone)

For Clubbing go to Freedom every Saturday. It is near Kings cross and it is a top night out.

Post 6

passenger

Hey Tigerlily!
Thanks for your answer.
I will live in Chiswick, Grange Road.
Do you know how that looks like?

Post 7

passenger

To Niz and all the others who (hopefully) will go on with helping me.
THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!!!!
I will sure try that Freedomthing. Which kind of music do they play in there?

Post 8

Oscar

Hehe smiley - smiley I live across the river from chiswick...
I'd say some of your top going out options were richmond, hammersmith
and leicester square. Explore though, it's great.

Post 9

Niz (soon to be gone)

In one room you have drum n bass in another old skool happy hardcore and such like, and in the main room trance and house. You can wear what you want and the atmosphere is really friendly and everyone I ever spoken to who's been have loved it.

Post 10

TIGERLILY

Ah Chiswick (posh!) West London isn't really my "manor" (as Londoners say) But your best bet is to buy a magazine, which is sold in all good newsagents called 'Time Out' which comes out every Thursday. This has listings of coming events for the next week that covers everything from comedy, festivals, theatre, nightclubs etc (Niz, I agree, 'Freedom' at Bagleys in Kings Cross is tops !) Welcome to London girl, have fun !!!

Post 11

TIGERLILY

Ooooh er, and you can check out the London guide at the 'Time Out' web site at www.timeout.com

Post 12

passenger

Which part of London do you live in, Tigerlilly?
And do you like it?

Post 13

passenger

Does anybody know the Southbank International School in Kensington and if there's a friendly atmosphere?
I would be very intersted in that...

Post 14

TIGERLILY

Hi there !
I live in Surrey Quays in glorious South East London, very close to Greenwich. I've always lived in South East London and in my opinion it's one of the better parts!

Post 15

NexusSeven

WARNING! If you do decide to have a night out in Leicester Square, make sure to avoid the Hippodrome, Limelight and Equinox.

Quite simply, they're deeply expensive for what they are (ie rubbish), full of horrible sweaty older men in suits who have heard rumours that they're full of 16 year-old girls and want to try their luck, as well as rowdy hen parties, sleazy tossers who still think medallions are a really good idea and the odd student who's soaking up the Godawful kitschness of it all.

Your credibility will take quite a battering unless you follow these simple rules:
1. Going once is understandable - everyone makes mistakes.
2. Going more than that means you are in need of help (or you just really like to rough it).
3.For God's sake, turn up drunk. It makes everything seem much more interesting, but beware the sleazy blokes mentioned above.
4. Don't even think about pulling anyone, unless any of the above groups of people appeal.
5. London's a big place, and there are much better places for a night out. Try TimeOut if you're stuck.

Hope this helps!

Post 16

passenger

to Nexus:
I've posted a message at "cheering and clapping"
Go and have a look!
kim

Post 17

passenger

What do you mean with better parts, Tigerlily/Clare?
More green or more exciting or what?

Post 18

TIGERLILY

Um... I wouldn't say Surrey Quays was green, although Greenwich is within walking distance and there's a huge lovely green park here. Exciting ? Well there's some nice pubs and alcohol excites me. I like it as it's right by the river Thames and there's some nice docks with boats and ducks so it's quite a pretty place compared to lets say Peckham or Brixton (no offence to anyone that lives in Peckham or Brixton by the way - they have their own good points too I'm sure)

Post 19

passenger

Seems pretty, you're part of the city.
Hope I will like mine, too!
I've found the "Kew Gardens" near where I will live on a map and the "Gunnersbury Park".
Soounds nice for me, too.

Post 20

ghofi

Chiswick is quite a way out from central london, and, depending on what you're after, I'd avoid the Leicester Square clubs, as they are generally full of bewildered tourists with more money than sense, or creepy old men looking to exploit the naive. Soho is fun, if expensive, and more reasonable alternatives are to be had at Trash, at The End - bit pretentious, or Camden generally for a walk on the wild side. SE london is fun, if a little dodgy it certainly makes up for it in atmosphere (try Camberwell Church St. or New Cross for loads of students). Sometimes the best fun to be had is in finding a nice local and getting to know the punters - they're usually a friendly bunch, and if not you can always move on!
Your best bet is to find a friend and get them to show you the ropes, but please experiment - getting stuck in a rut is all too easy.
Happy hunting!

Key: Complain about this post