A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How to stay cool

Post 1

Mick & Hoppa Canuck

It is hot here today and I don't have any fans. It was 37 degrees celcius today and it's about 30 now or more. Can't jump in the little paddling pool it's the middle of the night. Just blabbing sorry!
Hoppa

How to stay cool

Post 2

Crescent

Hang a piece of light cloth infront of the window, and put the bottem of it in a basin of water. The water seeps up the cloth, any air coming in the window starts to evaporate the water and hopefully becomes cooler. Or build your own 'raj' fan thing? Just a couple of ideas....
BCNU - Crescent

How to stay cool

Post 3

Princess Smartypants

I find that wetting old towels, wringing them out, putting them in the freezer for a bit and then wrapping them round your feet blissful in hot weather. Either that or soak your hair in ice cold water. This keeps your head cool for a couple of hours.

How to stay cool

Post 4

Mick & Hoppa Canuck

Thanks I will try those ideas. It hasn't rained here in over a month. My relatives came over from England and they couldn't believe how hot it was.
Hoppa

How to stay cool

Post 5

Wand'rin star

Why can't you get into the pool in the middle of the night? My neighbours and I were sitting on the steps at 2am this morning (32 degrees) with our feet in bowls of iced water and scoffing oranges that were meant for the hungry ghosts. Everybody had a hand fan (the old-fashioned Chinese ones that you flirt with) The very old man who sleeps out in the open had rigged up an electric fan to keep him cool. They have three words of English between them and I have two words of Cantonese. We had a great time.

Cool, man!

Post 6

Mick & Hoppa Canuck

Thanx. Good ideas. They work, - in combination with a 'cooler' full of ice and cider! It hit 42C. Bet you thought Everywhere in Canada was cold, eh? We calculated that, given all the different regions we've lived in, we have managed to thrive within a climatic temperature range of over 90 Degrees Celcius; without even taking wind-chill or humidity into account! In one country! On one planet! Without a futuristic-looking Silver Suit!
I find that somehow reassurring.

(Just to make you feel better about Canucks; I have actually slept in an Igloo, when I was a Boy Scout and lived up North. And in a Quinzee*.) That's why we're suffering, though. To me, any weather above 35 degrees is only fit for sitting in the water doing nothing; the higher the altitude of the lake , the better.
PLT, Mick

Official temperature

Post 7

Wand'rin star

I was in Peking 14 years ago and bought little souvenir thermometers from a road stall. They all registered 42 degrees. However, the official temperature was 37, because of a bye law which stated that if it went above that, all the factories had to be closed [You have almost persuaded me to visit Canada in the summer. I have a private vow not to go anywhere where there's snow ever again]

Official temperature

Post 8

Is mise Duncan

Given the current climate changes it is unlikely that it will snow in Caistor again - at least not as it did the first year we were there.

Official temperature

Post 9

Mick & Hoppa Canuck

I've seen the opposite, here: occasionally they'd shut down the mine in Tumbler Ridge - an open-pit coal mine atop a mountain - 'coz it was too cold. Ostensibly it was because with wind-chill it was too dangerous for the workers; but coincidentally, the steel of the (very expensive!) heavy equipment becomes brittle, so they were saving lots of money as well...
Ah, but that is why we live in the Kootenays! The only way I'm ever going to see temps that cold again will be in a space-suit!
('Course, now I'm complaining that it's too hot - it's a long-standing Canadian tradition!)

"Whether the weather is dreary and cold
Or whether the weather is hot;
the weather's just weather, whatever the weather,
whether we like it or not!"

PLT,Mick.

Official temperature

Post 10

Wand'rin star

The version I learnt of that goes:
Whether the weather be cold
Or whether the weather be hot
We'll weather the weather whatever the weather
Whether we like it or not - no mention of not moaning about it though is there? Do you know the Billy Connolly saying "There's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes"?

Official temperature

Post 11

Princess Smartypants

In this heat - the wrong body too! smiley - winkeye

Official temperature

Post 12

The Corrupt One (MIA)

Ugggggghhhhh...it can't possibly be much hotter than it is here in Southern California. Even with a pool and a swamp cooler goin' 24-7, it's miserable. And my mom wonders why I spend all my time inside...

Key: Complain about this post