A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Has anyone read or got a copy of Empire by Niall Ferguson?

Post 1

Whisky

Maybe a boring history book, but having looked at this conversation...

F98406?thread=572163

and a few reviews around the net... book reviewers seem to be saying that he's quoted from A223002 "The Empire came to greatness by killing lots of people less sharply armed than themselves and stealing their countries" and the reviews seem to insinuate that he's assigned the quote to a BBC History site for Children smiley - yikes

Any one out there got a copy of the book (or can get hold of one) and see if this Oxford Professor _really_ took that entry seriously.

Post 2

KB

your astonishment astonishes me smiley - winkeye

Post 3

GodBen (The Magical Astronomer) - 00000011

Are you saying that somebody stole a quote from H2G2 and passed it off as their own in a book? smiley - erm

Post 4

Whisky

Nope - I'm saying that someone's used a quote from a pretty light-hearted hootoo article and somewhere along the line its been understood as being from a serious BBC Children's History site smiley - erm... Doesn't exactly make the Beeb look good!

Post 5

Ah, so somebody mistook what we say as the words of children?

Makes sense, I suppose. smiley - erm

Post 6

Whisky

Read the links...

Someone took what we said and took it for the words of the BBC aimed at _teaching_ children...

Think along the lines of the BBC being used to teach kids in RE classes that Nighthoover really is the one true god!

Post 7

That's just ridiculous.

Although teaching them the Thingite ways wouldn't be so bad.

Anyway, I don't have the book but I did watch the TV series and don't remember him saying that.

Post 8

A Super Furry Animal

>> Think along the lines of the BBC being used to teach kids in RE classes that Nighthoover really is the one true god! <<

Surely that is what *should* be taught in RE lessons. Makes as much sense as the other stuff.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 9

ladymidnight

Loads of copies available in B'ham Libraries so I expect that any other Library authority will have copies.

Post 10

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

the phrase rings a bell
if nobody has got back to you I'll check my copy of the book if you want

Key: Complain about this post