A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Oh no! There's two of me!

Post 1

llaurén (the other one)

Dearie dearie dear.

Due to somebody's mistake(and it sure wasn't mine.. no way! i take no blame! you can't prove anything. well, maybe you can, but that's another story. oh no again. lost myself in my thoughts) -- probably mine then -- i exist on h2g2 twice. Some might say there are two of me, but taking the dualistic nature of the business -- and knowing there can only be one of me ("there can be only one"... hmm..) i say it the wrong way. There's two of me.

Guess i lost the tread again. I'm pretty good at that.

Anyways, i managed to register twice -- with different emails, but same nick. I now have two home pages, the other one complaining that i had a nice page at some stage, but that it got lost.

So what do you recommend doing? Pulling the plug of the other me? Which one? Will it hurt?

~llaurén
(the other one)

Post 2

Phil

you could change the nick of one of yourselves.
The problem is that when you log in, if you set the box saying remember me on this computer a cookie is set which means the next time you come to H2G2 you automatically get remembered as a certain researcher.
If you want to swap to the other of you, you'll need to log out, using the logout button on the left hand side and then log back using the other email.
Hope that it helped.
Phil

Post 3

Lear (the Unready)

I don't see anything here that can't be remedied using the same approach one would adopt in real life with such a problem. Simply overcome one's internal divisions by condensing the better aspects of the two online personas into one, and then allowing the other to fade away harmlessly into forgetfulness. Naturally, do the same with the two homepages - condense them into one and then reduce the other down to a blank screen. You could keep it as a kind of memento...

But we do this sort of thing all the time, don't we. The trick is to come up with a coherent persona at the end of it...

Post 4

Svlad Cjelli

I can't see that there really is a problem here, I mean between the two selves there just isn't anything you couldn't do. You could play online-chess against eachother/yourselves, you could discuss 'butter', you could quarrel about which one of yous may use the left side of the keyboard (or perhaps even the right) and you can file for divorce from the selve. I mean there are numerous occations where I'd love to be more that just one me, there are times I'd wish to be three or four even. Sometimes I'm even pretty sure there is more thatn one of me as well, but then I take my medication and the idea slips me. Anyway. How about you get another computer?
~ Svlad

Post 5

Svlad Cjelli

and about losing the thread... have the other you look for it while you keep posting. That should do the trick.

Post 6

jamin.r

I get this problem too, although not in h2g2, just in life in general. It usually happens after 36 pints too many...

Post 7

Lear (the Unready)

Thirty six! My goodness, it's a wonder you can see at all, after that little lot...

If someone with a split personality drinks 36 pints, does that mean they've actually drunk 72? Or just 18?Or doesn't it make any difference at all?... I'm getting confused here. Help. We're getting confused here. Etcetera...

Post 8

llaurén (the other one)

Okay. I want to thank you all for your invaluable input of wisdom. I will therefore remain as two of me (since i have more than one computer to exist on). Arguing with oneself (between oneselves?) could really be useful if one of oneselves can't make up it's mind. Oh rats. I did it again.

Well, at least i now have an excuse for screwing up my thoughts!

~rL

Post 9

Vandervecken

Think yourself lucky there aren't 576,000,000,000 of you.

Key: Complain about this post