A Conversation for Ask h2g2

legal question, -divorce, property, benefits in uk

Post 21

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Take a stress pill.

Post 22

Mol - on the new tablet

You can appeal against the council's assessment, and should do so if you disagree with it.

A marriage binds together the assets of two people. So when the marriage ends, the assets have to be divided. That is part and parcel of separation and no matter how amicable you want the separation to be, you cannot avoid doing this.

Your daughter would only inherit the assets after both of your deaths anyway, so whether the assets are consolidated or divided at this stage is to some extent irrelevant.

State benefits are a safety net. Generally speaking they exist to protect the weakest members of our society (the young, the elderly and the ill). State benefits also help those who are temporarily weak through unforeseen circumstances, but there is an expectation that at some point those who are physically and mentally capable will pick themselves up, dust themselves down, and start all over again.

For you, that point starts in August. And, given that your circumstances are not entirely unforeseen, and you do have a share in a considerable capital asset, that seems reasonable.

Mol

Post 23

madbeachcomber

Thanks for nothing.

Post 24

Alfster

Not a phrase you have used at the Council Offices, eh?

Post 25

I'm not really here

"Thanks for nothing."

We are unable to to give you anything other than nothing. You work, have a share in a house and pay your council tax. You are able to support yourself and your family. Have you tried top up benefits instead?

No matter how hard I try, when I am working I am unable to earn enough to *not* be eligable for top ups.

On the other hand, all three of my brothers have been homeless at one point or another - one of them with a wife and child, the other two have both slept in cars and one under hedges at different times. One of those is now effectively homeless again as his partner has thrown him out of the home he eventually managed to get for them.

I didn't notice anyone rushing to their aid with handouts, *other* *than* *those* *they* *were* **entitled** *to*.

Post 26

Hoovooloo

"Thanks for nothing."

You're welcome. It's what you deserve.

SoRB

Post 27

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Speaking from some experience of Council housing policy, simply put they regard what you have done as making yourself 'voluntarily homeless'. Once you have done that, they consider you to be your own responsibility. It's a bit like walking out of a job and expecting someone to pick up the tab for your lifestyle.

I knowe this because a friend of mine suffered a depressive breakdown, fell behind on his council rent and was then evicted and they even consider *that* to be making yourself 'voluntarily homeless'.

I'm not quite sure why you have reacted so badly to the advice you've received. It would be utterly pointless us lying and saying you should be entitled to these things because you aren't, and members of a message board saying otherwise would be fatuous.

smiley - shark

Post 28

Alfster

BS

Gosh, was that through *stress* possibly?

Hmm, obviously, as we have learnt they only have themselves to blame.smiley - winkeye

I hope they are recovering/have recovered well.

Post 29

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

If you genuinely don't like the inconsiderate you'll have a disregard for yourself to reflect it I hope.

Post 30

Alfster

Couldn't you come up with anything more original than a come back like that?

Post 31

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Save it for the playground little big man.

Post 32

Alfster

Well, judging by the level of support the original poster has compared with the basic comment of: 'you make your bed you sleep in it' you are the only one who has given her support...well actually not quite support...just say 'stress' is your own fault''and get another job. So, the OP has no support just someone who throws abuse at the people making cogent comments.

Hmmmmm....playground...at least I'm in a playground...sounds like your mind is still feral.

Post 33

Hoovooloo

Guys, guys.

This thread isn't for lambasting each other. It's for lambasting the feckless scrounger who made the first post. If you two must do this, can you take it to your personal spaces, please? Thanks

SoRB

Post 34

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

>was that through *stress* possibly<

No, it's because he was a manic depressive who went into a long and downward depressive spiral following some personal stuff.

smiley - shark

Post 35

Alfster

< It's for lambasting the feckless scrounger who made the first post. If you two must do this, can you take it to your personal spaces, please? Thanks>

Ooo, listen to her!smiley - winkeye

Anyway, was going to anyway.

There are some seconds of my life that I do not wish to waste telling idiots not to be selfish scroungers: I have used up this years supply.

Post 36

Tabitca

For anyone to leave the marital home,it must cause some distress,it is not a decision taken lightly.I sympathise with the orginal poster. However I also know the benefits system is flawed but if you have any assets they are taken into account. As someone who has been homeless ,more than once,and at one time lived on the streets with a young child, any roof is better than none.If I had owed half a house I would have got my share of it and used it to live on until I found a new job.
You will get through this original poster (madbeachcomber?) but it won't be easy and you will have to relinquish or claim your share of the house equity before you can claim any help.
As for the rather unsympathetic responses- well this is hootoo and people often speak their mind without knowing all the facts. You may have chosen to leave your home because of violence or spouse's behaviour. smiley - goodluck things will work out for you in the end.

Post 37

Deb

From what I can tell from reading Madbeachcomber's ps, she left partly because she met someone else on myspace following a breakdown of the relationship: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/F3556458?thread=3779176 (post 2). It's a perfectly valid reason for leaving, but it's not so pressing that she'd need special treatment from the council. I do think she expects a bit too much help for what is basically a self-inflicted problem Deb

Post 38

Tabitca

We live in a society that expects help unfortunately. Much as I value our welfare state ,I feel it does make people think they are entitled to help no matter what. Whatever her reason for leaving it isn't ever an easy decision and I do feel people were a bit harsh.
But then looking at those involved ....I shouldn't be surprisedsmiley - laugh they are all renouned for speaking their mindssmiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post