A Conversation for Ask h2g2

If you worked in a forest...

Post 1

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

and a tree fell down, regardless of whether you heard it or not, would you still be bored

Post 2

Mustapha

Well, sure, if you look at it like that.

You can always try making some chainsaw sculptures with the fallen wood, or some attractive banzai-style designs by tying saplings together.

And if you can't have fun with the odd hedgehog, you're just not trying, dammit!

Post 3

Actually, i was thinking more along the lines of if my current office was in the forest.

Of course you are right smiley - smiley Although i am not much of a handyman i'm sure even i could build a pretty spectacular treehouse, over time.

I'm not sure about the hedgehogs though

Post 4

Mustapha

I notice you're Australian but I'm not sure if you're familiar with the NZ cartoon strip Bogor by Burton Silver. It's the forestry worker's equivalent of Dilbert, with a black tank-topped, hard-hatted Dilbert and a hedgehog instead of Dogbert.

Post 5

No that hasn't made it to Australia, or not to my knowledge anyway. Sounds good though !

I didn't think you had hedgehogs over there so i wasn't sure what was going on, but then again that is hardly a rare state of events..........

Post 6

Mustapha

Oh, yes, hedgehogs aplenty litter our roads and highways, like anywhere else, along with numerous possum carcasses (this may alarm an Aussie, but here, possums are imported vermin that kill both native trees and native birds, they deserve eveything they get).

Post 7

As a rugby player i have had plenty of contact with kiwis who have shared their views on possums with me............

I have to say though that they are a lot better than cane toads

Post 8

fabt

To get back to the origonal question: if you worked in a
forest and tree fell down and you were under it when
it did so then i think the answer the the question would
you be board should be,....yes, and in dire need of re-inflation.
Like in Flat Stanley when stanley is flattened by his pin board and
his dad carries him around like a roll of wall papaer....

ok i'm going to bed now to look for my brain and my
maturity chip....

Post 9

Don't worry too much about the maturity chip.

I hope you sleep as well as a bored worker in a forest ie. like a log

smiley - smiley

Post 10

Potholer

There's a sample at :

http://www.austforest.com.au/bogor.html

Post 11

Thanks Potholer,

Not bad, at all smiley - smiley

Post 12

Trick Stapler

Never really seen a Cane Toad though...

Post 13

Thankfully they haven't made it to Sydney yet either, but they are all over Queensland and expanding rapidly.

Some genius bought them in to control insects in the cane fields and they have been poisoning native animals ever since smiley - sadface

Post 14

Trick Stapler

Same sort of thing happened in Hawaii, The genii decided that to get rid of a specific breed of rodent that was messing up the forest area they introduced a breed of mongoose, who when placed in a cage with the offending creature naturally killed it. So they thought that this would solve the problem, they forget though that the mongoose was nocturnal while the rodent was a day animal.. so the mongooses thrived and began destroying the vegetation too :O)

Post 15

Is there no end to these idiots smiley - sadface

We had someone else introduce rabbits so he could go hunting and now they are everywhere that the cane toads aren't...........

Post 16

Trick Stapler

Then they introduced the Australian to London and now they're everywhere that the Kiwis aren't

Post 17

But we made them take all the Fosters with them, although in hindsight perhaps we should have used it to kill the cane toads............

Key: Complain about this post