A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Hamsters

Post 1

Adrian

How do hamsters have sex? I presume that they do it the same as any other four legged animal, but I have never noticed a penis on a male hamster so I'm not sure.

Hamsters

Post 2

SallyM

I take it that you've never had a male hamster and the worry that its got bum tumours when it goes into heat? Apparently vets get that all the time, luckily my friend persuaded me not to make a fool out of myself. They were infact its balls. Fortunatly I have never seen a hamster having sex so I would not know how he did it, but your right about them not seeming to have a penis, maybe a vet will answer?

Hamsters

Post 3

Is mise Duncan

A large number of animals have no external penis except when in use..thus if you've never seen a hamster having sex then you won't have seen its penis.

In fact having an external penis is an evolutionary disadvantage - I can only presume that humans evolved in an area devoid of thorn bushes.

Hamsters

Post 4

Chrome

And then invented a metal zip. Hmmmm

Hamsters

Post 5

Mustapha

I think most (male) mammals even small ones like hamsters and hedgehogs have what's called an ossified penis. A bony sheath stored inside the body helps to form the erection. Human males are the exception, since we use increased blood flow to "raise the flag".

Probably a byproduct of evolution and learning to walk upright, such a mechanism would play havoc with internal organs. I mean, it's pretty uncomfortable walking around with an unwanted (external) stiffy, but can you imagine one constantly nudging you in the steak & kidney pie you had for lunch?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more