A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Where have all the bees gone?

Post 21

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

Well done Galaxy Babe! I've just rescued a moth dazzled by the sunlight and trying to cross the street on foot. When I got near it it aimed straight for my dark coloured shoes . It's now happily hanging in a bush waiting for nightfall I'm pleased to saysmiley - smiley

Post 22

Teasswill

We've got a huge hornet nest in our barn, so plently of them about, but I'm not sure that I've seen as many wasps & bees as usual. Or flying ants for that matter.

It may be that I've just not been out when they have!

Post 23

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

Crikey!
I've just been reading an article about a chap who stung by an hornet! It seems that he was aware that he had a wasp-sting allergy (that's fairly common) but thought he'd be safe with hornets. The article is headed "La strada e´ sensa Charlie".

Poor Charlie was only 46 but he had a long-term drink problem which the writer reckoned reduced the body's immunity to the hornet sting.

Be careful in that dangerous barnsmiley - erm

Post 24

zendevil

Hmm; i'd be interested to know more about this possible link between drink & insect allergies. Maybe the little swines like a drink as well & are attracted to folks who have had a few!

zdt

Post 25

I believe they do they do like ale>. I was closley (but not too closely) observing an hornet creeping through the dregs from a broken beer bottle at the side of the path the other day. I didn't linger too long.

Post 26

Teasswill

I gather that hornets are of the wasp family. Wasps love fallen apples that you can smell are fermenting - so it seems likely that they'd go for humans who smell of drink.

We're going very carefully around our hornets, but they're not aggressive so no problem just passing by.

Key: Complain about this post