A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Family research.

Post 1

Diaphenia

Hi everyone, can anyone please help me? During research into my family history, the 1901 census lists some of my relatives as living in Stone Yard, Godalming, Surrey. This does'nt seem to exist on any local maps of the area. Does anyone out there know if it still exists or has had a name change. I would dearly like to visit the site.
Regards,
Jan. smiley - cheers

Family research.

Post 2

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

Are you certain that "Stone Yard" is the name of a village?
It is just that it is an odd name for a village, it sounds more like a house name or something similar.

Family research.

Post 3

Diaphenia

Hi strangely strange, its definitely listed as Yard, not a village more a row of houses I would think.

Family research.

Post 4

Your best bet would be an Ordnance Survey Map, they are the maps that all other maps are based on, if it isn't on there, then it may not be anywhere.
Although clearly if the place has changed names then it may not be on there. Clearly, since 1901, the place could now be under a big housing estate!

Family research.

Post 5

Diaphenia

Thanks for that.....do you know Godalming at all?smiley - winkeye

Family research.

Post 6

Not at all, may have past through it that is all.
If you live there, try your main library for old maps. Mine has maps from that time or even older. They are all on heavy card and show things in great detail, even individual house on some of them.....a great historical resource or general interest, particularly for local industry.
Near me, what is now a housing estate, is shown on old map as the masses of green houses that were there.....the estate is called The Nursery Lands, from its old working history for plant growing.

Family research.

Post 7

swl

I'm surprised Godalming isn't on a map. I had "relations" with a girl in a pub there in 1984. We didn't know our room was directly above the bar. Being both young and vigorous we were quite, energetic. When we went down to the bar just before closing time, we got a round of applause from the two dozen or so locals there. smiley - blush

I'd completely forgotten about that until I saw the mention of Godalming.

Thank you for that, I've got a reminiscent smile on my face right now smiley - cheers

Family research.

Post 8

GreyDesk

There are plenty of mentions of a Stone Yard House and a Stone Yard Centre in Godalming. I would assume that this is redevelopment done on the site of Stone Yard in Godalming.

Family research.

Post 9

LosMos,
it sounds like you/we are getting somewhere now!
These sorts of mysteries are interesting to solve.
I expect the local history society will have produced pamphlets/books about the area containing references to Stone Yard. Perhaps the local libary can help with more information for her to find?

Family research.

Post 10

Diaphenia

Thanks for the info...........I believe I have now foundsmiley - cheers the spot where my relative used to live.

Family research.

Post 11

Diaphenia

I have now found the area I wanted thanks to the local library/and your imput of course. It was my dread that it was a workhouse, thankfully it was just a row of terraced houses. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post