A Conversation for Ask h2g2

h2g2 slower than snail?

Post 1

Oryan

I can't figure it out. I'm at college on an ethernet connection and nearly all of my pages load instantly. NEARY... Anything I view on h2g2 takes 20-30 seconds to load. Why is this? I guess it might be the translation from GuideML to HTML. And I don't know how busy the sight is, but maybe some of its because of traffic. If anyone knows the cause or what makes it better, I would appreciate it...

h2g2 slower than snail?

Post 2

Wand'rin star

It's so that you can play a hand of FreeCell while you're wating for it to load smiley - smiley

h2g2 slower than snail?

Post 3

Sbonk

Weird! It loads as fast as most other pages with my ISDN connection

h2g2 slower than snail?

Post 4

Bruce

Hi - which browser & version are you using at college?
Where abouts (roughly) in the world are you?

;^)#

h2g2 slower than snail?

Post 5

Oryan

I'm using an IE 4.0 browser in Houston TX. Most of my other pages will load in under 5 seconds, and I've had h2g2 pages take longer than a minute...

h2g2 slower than snail?

Post 6

Bruce

There are some known issues with h2g2 & IE4 Service Pack 1 - you can find details here http://www.h2g2.com/A53344

You might also be encountering delays because h2g2s servers are based in London - you could check www.bbc.co.uk & www.demon.net (h2g2s current ISP) to see what the response times are like for those in comparison to h2g2.
Maybe your browser isn't caching images - a lot of h2g2s layout (eg offsetting forum entries, title bars etc) is done using graphic files.

hope it helps
;^)#

h2g2 slower than snail?

Post 7

Miss Archy

I'm also on an ethernet connection at uni, and I've noticed that these pages are extremely slow. But hey, it's worth it. I'm not complaining.

h2g2 slower than snail?

Post 8

Oryan

Just so I'm not alone...

h2g2 slower than snail?

Post 9

Oryan

Getting IE 5.0 made all the difference in the world...

h2g2 slower than snail?

Post 10

Miss Archy

I'm on IE 5.01 and it's still slow.

h2g2 slower than snail?

Post 11

HappyDude

any faster now smiley - huh

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more