A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Why does this bother me?

Post 1

Researcher Eagle 1

I though I could throw this out here and get a couple of well-reasoned helpful responses. smiley - smiley

Yesterday I posted a benign question to a newsgroup where I am a rare poster, and got accused of being a troll because I don't hang out there much and what I asked apparently got someone offended. The next response said I had a good point, but also seemed to think I was there to start trouble. Today, I posted a response trying to defend myself, but since I went through Google, it'll be a couple of hours until it pops up.

My questions are this: Why does it bother me so much to have a couple of people out of thousands of users accuse me of being a troll, and what should my mindset be if they reject my defense and continue to treat me like a troublemaker?

Any (constructive) thoughts or criticism are welcome.

Why does this bother me?

Post 2

Bob McBob

Please don't get upset, but you're a troll, Researcher Eagle 1.

smiley - winkeye

Why does this bother me?

Post 3

Researcher Eagle 1

smiley - wah

Why does this bother me?

Post 4

~:*-Venus-*:~

Hiya
maybe its because there seems to be alot of "trolling" here recently...your best defence is to ignore it...smiley - sorry thats not alot of help, but the more you try and defend yourself the more they will accuse smiley - smiley

Why does this bother me?

Post 5

Researcher Eagle 1

Well, it isn't here on H2G2, but the point is still well taken.

Why does this bother me?

Post 6

The Groob

I agree with Venus' point that if you try to defend yourself they will accuse you more. It doesn't apply to all net users of course, but there are 'persecutors' about who will quite happily continue to stick the boot in, given the chance. I've experimented with this on chat rooms - I've gone in and been a complete idiot for 30 secs then switched to sensible. Some people can never go beyond their first impression.

However, in your position I would continue to post. If you can handle the negativity of the minority you might end up with something positive.

Why does this bother me?

Post 7

The Groob

Oh, and I would add that IMO any intelligent question deserves an intelligent answer. Anyone who can't give an intelligent answer isn't worth worrying about anyway.

Why does this bother me?

Post 8

Researcher Eagle 1

That's good advice. smiley - smiley What I posted is now up, so I guess I'm just waiting for a response at this point. But whatever happens, I will keep all this in mind. I knew I could count on you guys...

Why does this bother me?

Post 9

Crunchy Frog

you could just adopt it as part of your h2g2 persona

Eagle 1 aka Troll...

smiley - winkeye

Why does this bother me?

Post 10

Researcher Eagle 1

smiley - grr

*Roar*

-THUMP, THUMP, THUMP-

*Slobber*

Nah, don't like being a troll.

Why does this bother me?

Post 11

nadia

Oh but you're so good at it!

I've rarely seen such convincing slobbering and thumping.

smiley - monstersmiley - run

smiley - orangefish

Why does this bother me?

Post 12

Researcher Eagle 1

smiley - runsmiley - tickle

Oh, I'm sorry! It was inappropriate to get revenge like that; I don't really even know you.

However, you are being a smart-aleck...

Why does this bother me?

Post 13

Inverted Solipsist

As to why it bothers you-probably because you're used to being on H2G2, where people are generally reaonable and don't call people trolls for no good reason. Thus, you're putting too much importance on the opinions of random webusers because you're used to H2G2 users, who aren't usually calling each other trolls all the time.

I've only seen the ord troll used here in two contexts: to describe one particular researcher who actually did deserve it and was one, and by that researcher to describe everyone who disagreed with him.

Why does this bother me?

Post 14

Researcher Eagle 1

That's probably true too. I suppose H2G2 has on the whole been pretty positive compared to what's out there.

Why does this bother me?

Post 15

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

You are also a conscientious person ~it seems.
That would mean more than likely you would take the point -criticism to mind (maybe to heart) and examine it.

You have indeed done that. *admirable quality*smiley - smiley
You did not automatically dismiss the comment.
It would depend what you do with it next, as to whether you are being unresonable or a troll.
smiley - disco

Why does this bother me?

Post 16

nadia

Recovers from smiley - tickle

It's always frustrating to be misinterpreted. And it happens so easily on messageboards and chat rooms because conversation is much harder to interpret when there are no physical signifiers.

Some messageboards are deeply cliquey and antagonistic to newcomers and infrequent posters. H2G2 doesn't get like that, partly because there is a good moderation system, and also there are so many members, and a constant influx of new users, so the whole thing doesn't get so inbred. smiley - weird

smiley - orangefish

Why does this bother me?

Post 17

Researcher Eagle 1

Thanks, abbi, that makes me feel pretty good. smiley - smiley

Speckly, it is frustrating, especially when you talk over instant messenger or something along those lines, so you can be misinterpreted that much more quickly. I glanced at your space, by the way, and I might pop in to say hello tomorrow, if you don't object. smiley - smiley
(I'm out the door today... right now, as a matter of fact...)

Why does this bother me?

Post 18

nadia

Feel free to drop by. Visitors are aways welcome. smiley - biggrin

smiley - orangefish

Why does this bother me?

Post 19

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Those are good points you made specklysmiley - smiley
I welcome visitors too.
smiley - disco

Why does this bother me?

Post 20

The Groob

Yes it's easy to be missinterpreted. I now have an agreement with my gf that we will not discuss important matters on msn messenger as missunderstandings are easy due to the lack of tone.

Key: Complain about this post