A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Science Fiction? Well, fiction, yes...

Post 1

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Yesterday, reluctantly, I went to see The Core. It was at least as bad as I had thought it might be. The script has some decent moments, but the plot is terrible. It is possibly the worst mangling of science in the name of science fiction that I have ever seen, with errors in both the large and smale scale. As a fan of good science fiction (largely only found in books), I have a morbid hatred for cynical film-makers who think that this genre is an excuse to be lazy and suspend disbelief.
So, what is the worst science in science fiction that you have ever seen?

Post 2

Xanatic

What annoys me is that people seem to think that Star Wars is an example of what sci-fi should be like. But that isn't sci-fi at all, it's just space opera. But it seems to be what pops up in their heads when they think sci-fi, and then therefore think it is all crap.

But bad manglings of science? I can't think of the worst one right now.

Post 3

Heleloo - Red Dragon Incarnate

Ray guns that melt walls but dont melt people (i can't remenber the movie but it was b and w)

Post 4

Limitless

Worst Sci-fi film i saw was Dragon-hunter (Like i couldn't have guessed from the name or the fact it stars Dean Cane) Saying that, the fortress 2 Was Harry Monk aswell... smiley - geek

Post 5

Limitless

Worst Sci-fi film i saw was Dragon-hunter (Like i couldn't have guessed from the name or the fact it stars Dean Cane) Saying that, the fortress 2 Was Harry Monk aswell... smiley - geek

Post 6

Saturnine

Hmm. I would have to agree with the Star Wars. It's an overblown, overrated collection of films. I didn't realise it was supposed to be a comedy until I actually forced myself to watch one of them. And there ain't much science in there.

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

Actually that's not as ridiculous as it sounds. A laser beam which can cut through steel plate will give you a nasty burn but no permanent damage. This is because of the amount of water in the human body.

Post 8

Saturnine

DRAGON HUNTER!

That is what I was thinking of! Thankyou!

Dean Caine makes notoriously awful films though. So bad, I can never remember the titles!

Post 9

Limitless

Is it that important to people to be cool by saying something different..??

Post 10

Limitless

Or should i say feel cool..??!

Post 11

Heleloo - Red Dragon Incarnate

Who the hell is dean caine and have I miss something?

Post 12

Limitless

I'll make a prediction and say Terminator 3 will be complete tripe aslo..!

Post 13

Limitless

New adventures of Lois and clarke (dean cane)

Post 14

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Oh dear. If you're reduced to picking on Star wars already, well, you're in trouble. It's not meant to be anything, other than fun...describing either Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back in terms of anything other other than astonishingly successful examples of popular film making is simply carping for the sake of it.

Bad science fiction is V, 2010, Battlestar Ponderosa and anything else that has no wit to leaven the pomposity of it's ridiculous pretensions.

But really Star wars - I have to agree that this is the 'hate-the-popular-thing-to-look-cool' school of film criticism...

smiley - shark

Post 15

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I think his name is actually spelt Dean Cain. As has been said, he played the title role in the New Adventures of Superman TV series (also known, I think, as the New Adventures of Lois and Clark) which also had a few scientific clangers but some good lines too. Subsequent to that, I haven't seen him in anything, perhaps because all his films flopped so badly they never made it across the Pond.
I would call Star Wars science fiction, but you can't assess it for scientific quality because, in that regard, it's much more like fantasy. It also has elements of almost every other film genre in existence, which is one of the things that makes it so good.

Post 16

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

can we have a definition of 'science fiction' ? i take it we're not just talking about the hardware kind. i would see science fiction as a genre is as much about future human experience as it is about future hardware technology.

Post 17

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

AI and Bicentennial Man are both potentially scientifically accurate. they also bite the big one, big time.

smiley - shark

Post 18

Limitless

Well if the Dean 'Cain' can't be bothered to act, i can't be bothered to find the correct spelling to his name... smiley - laugh

Post 19

Like all genres, 'science fiction' is notoriously hard to define. I've tried on a couple of occasions, and only come out with something very verbose, with lots of 'ands' and 'ors', which still leaves out several pretty definitive examples. However, I can usually tell without any difficulty when a film or book is what I would call 'science fiction'.

Post 20

Limitless

I think it would be better to think of a list of good sci-fi movies rather than bad.. There are alot less of them..

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more