A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Why do we get achey when we have the 'flu?

Post 1

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Why do our muscles ache? And our bones? What's the technical reason?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 2

Queeglesproggit - Keeper of the evil Thingite Avon Lady Army and Mary Poppins's bag of darkness..

cuz our body needs all the energy to fight the flu so it uses the stuff that's normally used to power our limbs? smiley - huh

"There's not enough poower cap'n!"
"Red Alert! Divert all energy from extraneous limbs to fight the alien invaders!"
smiley - silly
Q
smiley - planet

Post 3

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

smiley - laugh I've a feeling that might be something to do with it - and maybe lactic acid has as well, although I don't know how.

Post 4

ourmanflint " my name is Klaatu "

it might also have something to do with all our white blood cells going round the body bashing everything...

"I.D. please, where are you from then mate.. not local are you... bash! thwack!!"

Post 5

milo

According to a really good bbc documentary on ages ago it's cos the immune system releases interleukins and stuff and this interferes with the whole body.

Apparently the only symptom caused by the virus is the sore throat/chest. The rest is the immune response. People with weaker immune systems when they get flu they can usually function but will have the illness for several days. People with stronger immune systems will be totally poleaxed by it but only have it for a couple of days.

Post 6

Narapoia

Uh! *reels from WBC onslaught*
Not just 'flu, food poisoning too.
Bleughhh.

Probably something to do with dehydration too - temperature goes up, you lose fluids (like hangovers too). Hence headaches too.

*sips gingerly at glass of coke - wouldn't normally touch the stuff but the caffeine helps and it tastes better than the rehydrating stuff in sachets, but has pretty much the same ingredients!*

Post 7

Queeglesproggit - Keeper of the evil Thingite Avon Lady Army and Mary Poppins's bag of darkness..

You know, I've found junk food helps (when you're up to eating food). A big fat MaccyD or BK burger really seems to give me a boost! smiley - huh

smiley - laugh "No I.D?.. *bash..thwock*"

Q
smiley - planet

Post 8

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Interleukins? I've heard of them, but can't quite remember what they do. Must look the word up. When I had the 'flu, I couldn't eat at all, but drank lots and lots of water.

Post 9

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Good old Google:

http://www.thebody.com/step/immune.html

http://www.atihealthnet.com/pages/coflu.html

http://bonatrium.com/index.cfm/flu_influenza_common_cold//redirected/true

smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post