A Conversation for Ask h2g2

southern cross visible?

Post 1

Researcher 14041

this is really a no-brainer for someone, but it came up in a conversation today and i didn't have the answer, so i'm turning to the collective wisdom:

at what latitude does the southern cross become visible above the horizon?

i've spent my entire life so far north of the 35th parallel, and have only seen it in charts and pictures. some literary references suggest it's visible in the southern usa, but someone has to have a quick reply on this one. and i'm heading for a quick search to see if i can answer my own question......

? please also email replies to [email protected]

regards,

-=c'ham=-

southern cross visible?

Post 2

DelphicOracle

Well, I had to look this up rather than just knowing it off the top of my head (cheat, cheat) - but the answer is apparently 25 degrees north.

As far as my geographical knowledge goes, I think that means it isn't visible from the mainland USA, and you'd need to go down into Mexico to see it.

southern cross visible?

Post 3

Researcher 14041

well thanks, DO!

but looking it up isn't cheating, imo. i'm just curious as to what you looked it up in........

wondering why the amateur astronomy group in miami florida uses "southern cross" in their name, if this all is the case. they are located at 25+fractions N. so the position you cite could probably [certainly] be within the florida keys...... so the cross could be visible from the usa, but not strictly speaking the mainland. hmmmmm. still, the contiguous 48 states.

regards, and thanks for taking the time.

-=c'ham=-

southern cross visible?

Post 4

DelphicOracle

Glad I could help. The fount of my astronomical knowledge is the Constellations Webpage, which you can find at:
http://www.dibonsmith.com/menu.htm

southern cross visible?

Post 5

a visitor to planet earth

Mars is worth looking at this month. Its at its closest for hundreds of years, if not thousands.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more