A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The one true balance

Post 1

Apparition™ (Mourning Empty the best uncle anyone could wish for)

After three years I am now filling out my first performance apprasial (yes they are supposed to be much more frequent).

My problem is that I'm up to the last and most difficult section. A paragraph entitled staff comments.

How do I get the right balance of scathing truth and job retention? smiley - weird

The one true balance

Post 2

Saturnine

As horrific as it may be, I refer you to the first few lines in Jane Austen's "Emma"...

She uses "handsome" instead of beautiful...so use words that mean something slightly more honest, instead of others...

smiley - smiley

The one true balance

Post 3

I'm trying to avoid being too "honest" while still being truthful

Honestly, my manager and his boss (my former manager) shouldn't beallowed to manage breakfast much less people.

The one true balance

Post 4

Narapoia

Hm, I had one of those. Fortunately I didn't have to do the 360 bit. In the end I just resigned..."fat, self-serving bully" would probably have had the same net effect.

The one true balance

Post 5

This place does suck most of the time. I have resigned from a job, the problem is that no one wants to touch you after that and you get the joy of unemployment.

I mellowed after lunch when I started the thread, but I still have only one sentence.

The one true balance

Post 6

Narapoia

KWYM - I've just emerged after 6 months of unemployment, but I have to say it was worth it jsut to get away. Horses for courses...
Still thinking of possibles for you but my brain needs sleep!

The one true balance

Post 7

I was unemployed for a while longer and during conservative government. Conservatives are not too bright when it comes to economic policy so the job market wasn't great either.

I'm glad you got out after 6 months, congrats smiley - cheers

The one true balance

Post 8

Saturnine

7 months of unemployment...and counting...

Have to sign on sometime soon. Still not sure how without having to visit the job center...

*grumble mumble*

Too cold to sleep tonight.

*grumble mumble*

Stupid...life.

The one true balance

Post 9

Stephen

Are you sure that you are not the problem? Is ti really the job?

Sorry but someone had to ask!

The one true balance

Post 10

Yes, I'm sure

1: The job used to be much better (others feel the same)

2: I'm still getting the same amount of choc(sweets/goodies) from grateful staff

The one true balance

Post 11

Saturnine

It could be poison chocolate.

The one true balance

Post 12

It would have to be v e r y slow acting

The one true balance

Post 13

Saturnine

It could be! You never know!

The one true balance

Post 14

Toccata

I know the position, in similar at the moment smiley - sadface

Be honest, but don't get personal. Try to mention a couple of good things (if you can find them) to stop it being a winge-fest. Have you any suggestions of how things can be improved? If it used to work okay before, can any of the systems in place be reverted?

I would hope that if the company was going to ask for input, it would be big enough to take CONSTRUCTIVE comments with good grace.

Might well be worth keeping you eye open for another job anyway, it's always easier to move while you have a job.

Good Luck smiley - smiley

The one true balance

Post 15

thanks smiley - smiley

Actually today is the day of the interview that is supposed to follow one of these forms. My manager is supposed to have filled out an identical form.

I'll let you know what comes of it. I can't wait for tomorrow, my last day of work for the year.

Key: Complain about this post